Guidewire

www.guidewire.com
There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

I have grown more at Guidewire than I have at any other job.

Current Employee - Services Manager in London, England
Current Employee - Services Manager in London, England

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

The best part of working at Guidewire is that its corporate values are embraced at all levels, even all the way to the highest levels of executive management. Also, Guidewire is a very egalitarian company. The company truly values all contributors.

Cons

The only minor issue is that Guidewire's benefits are about average. The company could try to improve vacation packages, employee's insurance cost, etc.

332 Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire (View Most Recent)

Amazing company. A darling. But feel bad for Marcus

Former Employee - Product Manager in Foster City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Guidewire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Look at all the positives mentioned in all the reviews and just believe them. This is the company that gave me hope about Silicon Valley. I would work again for the founders and a few other leaders (Ken, Marcus, Dan) in a heartbeat. Just crazy good.

I have been privvy to some of the strategy discussions. Amazing clarity of thought, no turf warfare or political agenda and just swift decisions.

Cons

While I have seen a good deal of positive people I have also encountered a few rare pockets of negativity first-hand. Be prepared to see 2-4% bad apples. You will kiss lot more prince/ princess than frogs, metaphorically.

I have also seen a sense of entitlement among some old-timers. I have seen people working 6-7 hours a day. I have also seen old timers (geniuses) who get a sheer mountain of work done in single 8 hour window - almost 2-3 times as that of others. The average works out fine. But it is perplexing when you see people arriving at 10, taking 60-90 minute lunch breaks and leave at 5:30.... and the entire management cadre thinks that everyone is holding themselves accountable. And if you want to talk about it, tread carefully - this is a very sensitive topic. If you bring this up prepared to get yelled at by several people, including a few senior leaders.

There are three challenges that GWRE needs to overcome:

1. Managers and Culture:
    All successful software companies reach a certain stage where development velocity slows down - it rises out of maintenance load and aged code. Unless the team is full of refactoring ninjas, most of it is unavoidable.

But slow down due to cultural aspect is dangerous. Eight years ago, people held each other accountable for highest levels of quality and productivity. The leads were fundamentally coders too and they inspired others by example by being productive and set a high bar for quality. Now there are a great # of "managers" who are not motivated to push the team (through inspiration, not whipping) and getting things done, but rather they are satisfiers / status quo preservers - they are paid to just ensure that everyone is happy and things are moving along fine. Risk taking and aggressive goal setting has gone out of window.

2. Technology:
    GWRE's technology platform needs a new life. Everyone recognizes this. Don't get me wrong... this is still by far the best technology that the insurance industry has ever seen or will see in the next 10 years. The company is a full light year ahead of the nearest competitor. But it is still lagging behind in some areas. Areas like data management is way behind -uses technology invented in 1998. Meanwhile, the rest of the world (sans insurance) has moved on to schema-less data manipulation, billion row march, probabilistic learning engines. Mere grass root innovation is not sufficient. The company must turn a book. One must look at existing inhouse technology like the way the founding 6 looked at legacy systems and come up with a vision and execute. Anything that is on-the-margin (and created with a defensible in front of board) will not cut it.

3. Still driven by founding CEO's energy:
    Except for one other person.... there are no clear internal leaders that can and want to run the company after Marcus. Marcus is incredible. Everyone admires his rare combination of wisdom, humility and candor/ presence of mind. Those are large shoes for people to fill in for anyone. But if Marcus were to leave (after all the man must have worked more than an average soviet gulag worker) the board would have to bring someone external. This may not be a bad thing. But I get a sense that some of the other leaders are held in place by Marcus's charisma.

I want nothing but positive and great outcome for this absolute gem of a company.

Great Culture

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

The people are smart, and humble. the collegial value is very true here. Agile shop, highly collaborative environment.

Cons

Can get noisy, but there are quiet rooms available.

The SaaS offerings are an excellent start!

Guidewire Response

Feb 25, 2015Director Global Recruiting

Thanks for the review! Great to hear that you are enjoying your time at Guidewire.

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire