Guidewire

www.guidewire.com
There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

I have grown more at Guidewire than I have at any other job.

Current Employee - Services Manager in London, England
Current Employee - Services Manager in London, England

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

The best part of working at Guidewire is that its corporate values are embraced at all levels, even all the way to the highest levels of executive management. Also, Guidewire is a very egalitarian company. The company truly values all contributors.

Cons

The only minor issue is that Guidewire's benefits are about average. The company could try to improve vacation packages, employee's insurance cost, etc.

328 Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire (View Most Recent)

A truly great engineering org.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Guidewire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I recently left Guidewire after nearly a decade for a very large company, for career-development and salary reasons.

Guidewire's core engineering culture remains exceptional and I would not hesitate to work for them again in an engineering role. Despite the kool-aid at the larger company I now work at, Guidewire remains the place where I was around the largest proportion of brilliant people, and even more importantly, with the fewest jerks and egotists.

Guidewire engineering has a tremendous emphasis on craftsmanship and quality. They also have huge flexibility with workstyle and time off, realistic deadlines -- no death-marches at release time -- and the company as a whole takes the customer focus and value "integrity" very seriously. They rarely over-promise, and they will do what it takes to make things right when something goes wrong.

Cons

There are three main concerns to engineering org:
    First, there have been some growing pains and since my departure there is a new SVP, so there is uncertainty about whether they'll be able to keep the culture intact while keeping up engineering velocity up at the same time. I think the outlook is positive, but having moved on I can't say for certain firsthand.

Second, with the "arms race" in salaries (and other compensation) between large employers around here, it seems like Guidewire has opted out - at least for old timers who've built seniority on the job. The same could be said about "perks" and other benefits although my own philosophy on such things is that I'd rather have a higher salary and fewer frills.

Lastly, for some people, insurance can be an inherently dull subject. Technical management mostly does a good job of trying to keep the focus on quality and process and for many people that's enough to keep things interesting -- there's a good division of work so that you can focus on what parts work for you, and you don't get say, sucked into the minutia of insurance specific business logic or financials if you're not so inclined.

I have a much more limited sense of the company outside engineering these days, but as of a few years ago when I worked more closely with other divisions things were very mixed depending on which.

Please catch up development salaries to market for existing employees (and new ones, if they're not already competitive.) Please work on better professional development opportunities for engineers and other technical employees.

Consultant

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Not many companies can offer similar career opportunities.
    Office atmosphere is excellent and management team really cares about employees.
    Internal mobility is encouraged and this opens the possibility to learn new skills, visit new places and developing a career within Guidewire.
    It is simply and by far the best company I've worked for.

Cons

The Dublin office is little bit too reliant on unexperienced employees. Worth saying that due to the demanding interview process most of the employees are smart and skilled though.

Maybe hire more mid-level profiles (3-5 years experience), but still thanks for the great job done.

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire