There are newer employer reviews for HNI

Good environment to be nurtured, but not the most stable in terms of being recession proof.

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Salisbury, NC (US)
Former Employee - Product Engineer in Salisbury, NC (US)

I worked at HNI

Pros

Mid-size company made working there feel like working with close friends and family, allowing us to develop very good relationships with colleagues and peers.

Cons

Furniture industry is very volatile in the fact that it will be the first to feel the the downsides of a bad economy, and the first thing management will do is to arbitrarily cut head-count from all departments, regardless if you have been a good performer or not.

Take a salary cut from $250,000 to $75000 before you start letting lower level people go.

26 Other Employee Reviews for HNI (View Most Recent)

WAKE UP HNI, Your workers made you who you are, respect them!

Current Employee - Distribution Support in Muscatine, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Distribution Support in Muscatine, IA (US)

I have been working at HNI

Pros

It is a very large stable company. They have health beifits, profitsharing. And there are still a lot of great people who work there.

Cons

Currently poorly managed, with respect to human recources. They just don't care much, if any, about the people that work for them. HON used to be more about being a good place to work, and employees were treated as, what they called "Members" Now the term "Members" is more like a slap in the face. Because being a member of somthing would indicate that you were part of somthing that you felt you belong to, and possible might have an influence in helping the cause of the company. Now people are treated as if it was their fault the company might be experiencing financial difficulty because of the economy.

Most people understand that the economy is bad, and that we need to cut corners and raise productivity, but that is no excuse to treat people with no respect. Let us help. Acknowlege the fact that that "you" the management don't have all the answers.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Corporate Finance Intern in Muscatine, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Finance Intern in Muscatine, IA (US)

I worked at HNI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

HNI culture is very welcoming. There is a lot of opportunity to grow within the company and challenge yourself

Cons

The headquarters is in a very small community

You are exposed to senior leadership. As an intern, I was able to present my findings to several Vice Presidents and the CFO.

There are newer employer reviews for HNI