There are newer employer reviews for HNTB Companies

Great Company, Solid Growth, Consistent Track Record

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Outstanding employee benefits, including ESOP
- Nationally ranked in various market sectors
- Strong leadership team
- Good opportunities for career growth and diversification

Cons

- Could improve their recognition program for employees

164 Other Employee Reviews for HNTB Companies (View Most Recent)

TOJ, Staff Up, Reduction in Force

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great national reputation as a design firm in the transportation market

Cons

This company is completely and totally obsessed with profits. For an employee owned company, I have never seen so many layoffs in my decade long career. Work sharing is also horrible. You could have an employee laid off with a rec open for that same position. No infinitive to work share. Every office is its own business unit. Literally, I have seen engineers hired and released within a year due to work load and projects ending. Experienced 5 layoffs in 10 years, including one 3 months after I was hired. Also, all officer level positions filled from outside. Very few officers get there organically.

Work share, and stop being obsessed with TOJ. Junior level staff should not be beaten down with TOJ every day. Also, not good seeing all office leadership hired from outside. Hire good people and bring them through the ranks. Maybe it is because no one stays around long enough to become an officer. It is a huge slap in the face to spend 10 years with the company and see someone hired from Timbuck Two as an AVP or VP. No company loyalty.

Systems administrator

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits package, with company matching 401k and stock. Co-workers were very friendly and easly to get along with.

Cons

Was hired to do work for a specific construction job, was told when I was hired that there would be other opportunities when the project was completed, now that the project has completed there are opportunities within the company so I am out hunting for a job again.

Be more pro-active in retaining employees that are hired for specific projects to help place them onto other projects in the organization so that there is less turn-over in the company.

There are newer employer reviews for HNTB Companies