Good people, bad company

Former Employee - Inventory Control Manager in Jefferson City, MO (US)
Former Employee - Inventory Control Manager in Jefferson City, MO (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good discount, a lot of flexibility with schedule if you have a good manager

Cons

After 10 years with the company I learned that it is all about your store manager. If you have a good manager, they do their best to shield their associates from the idiocy coming from the corporate offices. They also had a wage freeze in effect for about 3 years when I quit.

Advice to Management

Make smarter decisions, pay your people, and don't blame the little guys for the big guys mistakes. You can't cut labor back to nothing and still have everything get done.

reviews filtered by

Awesome start with great chances to move up, and then a sizzle and explosion with 2012.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, the culture is the best anyone could ask for. Plus its ENTERTAINMENT, is there any else more fun?

Cons

Upper management from District Manager up is very UN-experienced and under-skilled. In flux of lower paid management (due to economy) caused this generic and uncultured management. The business is dieing and Hastings is taking its employees with it. Low paid, under appreciated, almost exclusively part time employees who have no drive are killing the customer and employee experience. If there was anyway to rewind to 2009 and continue the business plan, this company would grow 150%. It only took me 6 years to understand. I still bleed green, but not for the company ,

Advice to Management

Quit if any of this worries you. You know your dragging the ship so cut yourself and save someone.

Unrewarding

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible with schedule for school. Fun overall atmosphere with co-works. Great book and merchandise discount. Great selection of merchandise.

Cons

Wage freeze 3 years, non-noncompetitive pay, no employee recognition. Hard to move up in the organization. Unfulfilled promises in compensation. Corporate office lives in its own little world there is no viable medium to give advice, comments or concerns. Upper management have a superiority complex and are demeaning to full time and part associates.

Advice to Management

Re-think your hiring and promotion criteria. Store and district level management have too much a boys club mentality.