Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

A typical large company... Lots of opportunities and lots of bureaucracy.

Current Employee - Software Designer VI in Cupertino, CA (US)
Current Employee - Software Designer VI in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good opportunities for career growth. In my experience, managers allow and encourage job changes into new areas. There is a Technical Career Path that provides a path for technical people to move up without having to move into management. Lately they've been encouraging mentoring and different ways to share information across divisions.

Cons

HP is a huge company and is full of annoying bureaucracies. If bureaucracy drives you nuts then don't work for a huge company. If the work you do and the people you work with are more important then HP is a fine place to work and there are lots of opportunities in a large company.

9041 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Good but could be better

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good place to develop the technical skill
    Good place to build up communication skill

Cons

Management not respect the staff achievement
    Huge workload
    No clear career development path

Nothing

Excellent Place to Start a Career

Current Employee - Presales Consultant in Rio Rancho, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Presales Consultant in Rio Rancho, NM (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Hewlett-Packard is an excellent place to start a career. Considering it's size, you are presented with the opportunity to move up in the company, but to move laterally within the company to discover what you really like. They are very open that it is a competitive work and I appreciate that. Too many companies these days pitch the "family" environment only to be more cut throat than the rest with less rewards for your hard work. HP, for the most part, is not one of these companies.

Cons

Some of the pros are also cons. Due to its size, it takes a long time to find information or to get things done. Coupled with a competitive environment, at times you are expected to navigate this complex structure on your own. If you are someone who needs a lot of support on a daily basis this may not be the place for you, but if you are up to the challenge and can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Because of its size I know many things can't be simplified, but try to ensure decisions are made at the lowest level possible with as little formal approval as possible. The faster we can work, the more competitive we will be. Additionally, this idea is what made Hewlett-Packard great in the first place.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard