Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Upper management has totally lost site that the people in the trenchs are the money makers and need to be supported.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People you work with are great. I have built some long lasting relationships.

Cons

Don't expect to get a raise without fighting for it. Any training you take will not be approved unless it relates to your current position.

The stock holders pay your check but the people in the trenches are the ones building the networks, servers and workstations that make the stock go up. So please remember us when you get a big bonus.

9034 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Self-service Corporation

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good benefits such as various health plans, 401k, vacation, stock-options, holidays, etc. Interestingly enough, HP does not designate sick days.
    - Various training opportunities. However, be aware that it is a self-service environment and it is left to the individual to carve out time for training.

Cons

- After being told specifically that there would be no HP lay-offs for the particular client for which I and others were assigned, two months later we were, in fact, laid-off. After reviewing the list of positions and ages of the individuals involved in the lay-off, it is apparent that it was definitely age-related as the avg age of the employees was 50. In addition, within 6 weeks after my last working day, I was contacted by an outside recruiter regarding a 3 - 6 mon contract position for the very same job I held with HP. I even confirmed it was for my former HP functional manager and performing the same job duties. Very disappointing...
    - Be aware that HP is very much a self-service corporation. As a self-starter, this posed no challenge for me, but may for an individual who is used to having an HR representative onsite, administrative support, etc.

It is a sad state of affairs when an international, billion-dollar corporation finds itself in such financial difficulties that the only resort is to lay-off employees. If the end result is to streamline operations and/or reorganize business units/processes, it is understandable. Unfortunately, the decision to reduce HP's workforce is clearly due to the ineptitude of senior management, as well as a lack of foresight and strategic planning.

a company finding to stay afloat

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance - able to work from home, flexible working hours as long as work is done.
    Reputable mnc - good for your resume.
    Flexi credit - able to convert into cash.
    Usually good direct manager - care for your personal well-begin.

Cons

Poor pay benefits - pay freeze, low bonus payout, rare salary adjustment.
    Cost cutting - cut transport allowance
    Encourage employee to purchase HP product - only willing to give a $100 discount for laptop and desktop.
    Training - only web based training, no live training due to cost cutting.
    Measurement matrix - ridiculous lots of measurements that engineer has. Employees are not robots.

More support from the board.
    Respect employees as an asset not a cost cutting tools.
    Stop buying useless companies at over prices level.
    As a hardware company, we need to innovate and build an eco system like apple. (Look at iphone 5, lousy product upgrade but look at the queues)

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard