Hewlett-Packard

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

excellent so far

Current Employee - Software Engineer
Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

have been working for about 15 years, great company to work for.

Cons

benefits are on par with the industry, however base salaries seem slightly under

9083 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Poorly managed company, hostile to women and minorities

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was ok but nothing special. I did not have to work 14 hours a day like my previous employer.

Cons

This company is poorly managed at the top,middle and much of lower management. My hardware division was almost exclusively white males with almost no women or African americans in sales.
    As a woman I felt hostility. The division I was in was run by poor executives. There was no comraderie among peers in sales. Everyone was ruthlessly out for themselves.
    So many people I met including my boss had only been there a year or two and really did not know how things worked in the company. People were not helpful when coming on board and if you asked questions people were annoyed or seemed incredulous when you did not know how things worked there. The onboarding was terrible - full of old outdated material and was at a 100,000 foot level. It did not tell you about operational processes and details that would have helped you actually do your job, There was no product training program - you were just thrown in the fire. Being a woman, I would be in division meetings were there were 50-100 white males and no women except myself. NONE of the field sales managers were women or minorities in my US division. The men were hostile - from the newbie sales rep to the sales director to the division VP. I could not believe this was the environment in 2013. My previous employer had women and minorities in all levels of line and management. Women were treated as equals. If I had known HP was like this I would never have accepted a job there. They need a government diversity audit in all divisions.

Figure out what company you want to be. Create a true long term strategy for success like IBM did and then implement it. Quit having the strategy du jour. Change the culture of a toxic board. Promote from within and don't hire outside managers who are not competent. Since your company is run buy a women, don't use her a window dressing. Put real diversity programs in place and then t develop a culture that really mentors and promotes women and minorities at all career levels. Your competitors like IBM do this superbly and really walk the walk.

I have around 4 years experience in testing software applications and backend systems

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Being a part of the world's largest institute
    - Stable company
    - Environmental friendly

Cons

- No Career path
    - no growth
    - Salaries depend on the ability to get another offer from competitive company and thus being able to get a good counter offer, with good raise

- focus on the career path of your employees
    - Give your employees a good raise

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard