Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Do not work for HP

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Nice, intelligent co-workers
Flexible working arrangements
Vacation days accumulatded each year

Cons

Continuous layoffs
Transfers to inappropriate positions with no regard for affected employee's career path or happines
Salary cuts which are then returned as a "bonus"

Stop being robots who merely hand down directives from upper management
Do not force inappropriate career chanages on employees
Treat employees as people, not numbers or salaries,respectfully, or expect a mass exodous when the economy recovers

9464 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Once a great company to work for, it now is strives to be no better than average

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Roseville, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Roseville, CA (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

For me, HP has had Flexible work hours, letting me get my job done and have time for my family. Granted, I still have to coordinate with others and their schedules, but otherwise I have a lot of freedom to set when I work. I like working with my peers. They are good hard-working experienced employees. My direct managers have been very good, and HP seems to do a better than most at training both men and women to manage. Lastly, so far I have had Interesting work to do.

Cons

HP was founded on a set of principles that respected employees as much as the top chiefs. This atmosphere has completely eroded. At best, HP now is an average place to work, where lower-level employees are treated as financial liabilities and not assets to the company.

If you want better than average employees, start rewarding and treating the workforce likewise.

Good in the beginning...

Current Employee - Project Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

It's a very dynamic environment and you'll always be dealing with new projects, new technologies, new people. Can't get bored!

Cons

No clear career path; recognition is usually a pat on the back and bonus is almost inexistent and when you earn it, it sucks; never sat down with my leader to discuss where I can get on my career inside HP; never participated on a formal training on a class to learn new things because I've never had time to do so and my client would not wait for me to be trained and my leader would always press me to "learn as you go" instead of attending classes; etc.

- Get interested in your employee's aspirations
    - Help him plot the course to accomplish the employee's objectives/goals on the company
    - Recognize the accomplishments accordingly (not just a pat on the back, but bonus AND promotions with salary increase!)

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard