Hewlett-Packard

Changes are painful

Current Employee - Storageworks Division
Current Employee - Storageworks Division

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good pay and decent benfits. Great people to work with and very professional environment. Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Goals are set at unrealistic levels and the only feedback that I recieve from management is when I have failed to submit one of the ever changing manual reports that I have to turn in weekly. No way to truly track my performance since the system shows deals at incorrect dollar amounts and sometimes fails to post alltogether. Doing my job day to day is continually made harder by the systems that have been put in place to supposedly make everything streamlined. Making the sale is just the first step in an unbelievably complicated process for processing orders.

Set realistic goals and get a handle on performance tracking. Provide an easier process for interfacing with customers and resellers. Value individual contributors.

9447 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

A sad decline in putting profits & the shareholders above all else

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

An imagined kudos of working for a great IT company.

Cons

I'm not sure HP is leading that much innovation right now.
    There is a slow drip, drip of the removal of all that was good... flexibility (Now you MUST be in the office), a great pension (slowly being eroded) etc
    Permanent pay cuts but huge exec compensations.

Just a little more than pretending you care about employees would help... we're not stupid!

Management needs to listen to their people

Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Working with some of the most talented engineers and professionals in the computer industry is one of the highlights of my day.

Cons

Management often makes decisions in the face of compelling data provided by their people. When things don't work out, they push people harder to pull out all the stops to recover from their bad decision. Management refuses to acknowledge their bad decisions yet they seem to continue getting promoted and rewarded while the people delivering the products are over-worked and had benefits and pay cuts while watching coworkers get 'managed out' by relative performance ratings which is really just a workforce reduction in disguise.

Start listening to your people. Start taking care of your people. Start appreciating your people. Without them, you are nothing. You can't outsource everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard