Hewlett-Packard

HP Joins the Grade B Companies working culture

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer
Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good place to learn on your own, costlier trainings are provided based on business needs

Cons

Less benifits
lower compensation
HP is trying to lure investor with all its cuts and reductions, however, it wont go for long as the product does not run company, its the good people

well, agree that there was recession, however, there are companies who fought back and giving the employees what they deservs.

9965 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

in a niche business unit for telecoms market

Current Employee - Presales in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Presales in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good camaraderie between colleagues in own team
    Flexible work/life balance
    Great brand recognition, and lots of experience in the field
    Many experts to help get the job done
    Good manager watching my back and steering the right direction (but might not always be this way)

Cons

Benefits package fairly basic
    Salary under market rate and drastic cuts have been applied
    Delivery org hold all the power, sales are a small fish
    Red tape, Red tape, Red tape.
    Pass the buck culture - nobody wants to make a decision, take on responsibility or do the actual job.
    Culture of engineering things so that others to do your bidding
    In the telecoms software domain, other big players (IBM, Oracle) have vested huge $$ in R&D and acquisitions and are very aggressive in sales. HP feel more arrogant, thinking their solutions are superior and have been around longer. Relying too heavily on repeat business and customers 'wanting' HP.

Take heed of smaller business units which can provide very high profit margins - not only flogging tin and ink.
    Take heed of the cuts made in recent times, and reverse them - they are driving away good staff.
    Figure out and fix whatever is causing good candidates to not want to work for HP anymore.
    Get the act together with Sales organization and give them the power to win more business.
    Don't only look to the biggest deals, smaller ones can add up over time - especially in developing countries.

My how the times change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

The other employees are excellent and always willing to share their knowledge. My division also has many opportunities for job rotation, but that doesn't translate into better pay...just more work.

Cons

I was hired on at HP not that long ago, but in the few years (less than 5) that I've been with the company, things have changed drastically. Benefits have been slashed, raises are nonexistant, and employees have become commodities.

Withholding raises will realize short term gains, but now the company is suffering for it. My division still hasn't shipped a new product since I started working.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard