There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Unless you remain politically connected to TOP management, you will be "released" through their semi-annual cut backs.

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Their perceived reputation in the Global Market.

Cons

Keep your NETWORK and resume up-to-date. You will be blind-sided when you least expect it. Mine came after 3 months of 80 hour conversion weeks.

Focus on QUALITY, not the bottom line. Look at supporting your originating country and those employees who have stuck by you. Measure by quality, not political connections. Management by "mind control" will not last forever.

11849 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Great company, weak management in the Nordics

Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at IBM

Pros

As a technical professional IBM is a unique place to work and offers outstanding possibilities to work on challenging and ground breaking projects.
    Great possibilities for global networking and projects.
    Very open, friendly and supportive culture.
    High degree of freedom to manage your own work and life.
    A genuine industry leader, most of our competitors want to be more like us.

Cons

It is a huge global corporation with the associated processes and politics.
    Salaries in Sweden are low compared to competitors (but they offer very generous pension and parental leave benefits)
    Ridiculous focus on cost cutting. We all understand why employers need to reduce costs, sometime extensively, but it has now gone so far in IBM Nordics that it is embarrassing.

Local management in Sweden are essentially administrators who demonstrate little leadership, vision or ambition.
    IBM could easily double in size and market share in Sweden in the next 3 years with the right leadership.
    Management need to understand that they are currently a support function, the true leaders within the organisation are those that are working hard delighting our clients on a daily basis.
    Wake up and show some true leadership!!

Frustrating - So much potential squandered by living quarter to quarter instead of long term

Current Employee - GBS Consultant
    Current Employee - GBS Consultant

I have been working at IBM

Pros

There are a lot of different roles you can find yourself in, which can be good from a career perspective. Often times you are thrown into the mix of something else if you are competent in your current duties and can be counted on, which can broaden your horizons and perhaps you'll find a niche you really enjoy.

Some great people that work in IBM and when you get to interact with them (when IBM's internal boxes/walls don't keep you from working together) they can really be fantastic.

Cons

You're a cog. They'll run you at 125-175% until you burn out. Work-life balance is non existent*.
    Related to the above, there's since everyone is running around like crazy, or they're fired, there's no surplus capacity. So when more work comes down the chute - guess what? No one else will be hired on to do it, so carve some more space into your evening's and weekends.

Company tools are God awful. Such a mish-mash of different interfaces from different acquisitions and they're are almost all terrible. The funny thing is, we make fine products/services for our customers, and have tin cans and string for all our internal processes.

Boy do we love our process. Just a maze of process. If you're lucky, you'll have someone who can help you navigate it, but it can be crushing at times.

Management. There are some really good managers in IBM, but there's also a lot of bad ones (especially in Exec positions). Seems like for every one "worker bee", there's a manager and 10 executives. Can be nuts.*

* - Probably depends on your pay band, job, section of the company, etc

Realize that you cannot continue to put this pressure on the work force indefinitely. There are very motivated people who are finally starting to burn out/crack and it is unfortunate.

Please realize that there will have to be some investment in the employees (I've seen recently where some motivated/creative managers have been able to get some training for employees) is necessary both for providing a quality product to the customer and for retention purposes.

There has got to be a way to get feedback up to upper levels. Right now, there is a total disconnect between lower-to-mid levels, and upper management.

Something has to be done about the internal firewalls between the various divisions of IBM ("blue dollars") as it causes us to waste so much time and energy while not putting the best product out.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM