IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Excellent enterprise exposure. Very good as you first job out of college.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people
- Chance to work on very large enterprise projects
- Global organisation
- Stable job

Cons

- Corporate environment
- Similar roles

Bring back tea and coffee!!!

12362 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Used to be my best dream job

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Bucharest (Romania)
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Bucharest (Romania)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you love exceptionally great technology you may get the change to work with it if you work in IBM.
    Great technological legacy: just take the mainframe over 48 years old and still going strong
    Continuous investment in technological innovation
    Nurturer of Unix in general AIX and Linux
    Great CPU tech: Power and System p or Power 7 in new Power System
    Great storage tech: DS8000 Series

Cons

5 years ago I would have give it 10 stars out of 5... my enthusiasm has been squashed since then by the cohort of so called "freezes": education freeze, Q4 spending freeze, travel freeze, beginning of Q1 freeze, end of Q2 freeze etc.

We all know know even the largest businesses are struggling to keep relevant in this very fast moving world
    but there must be better ways to manage and grow a company than ONLY through cutting costs, and cater to share holders by driving up share value at all cost.
    I argue that this is a sure way to fail on the long term.
    I would quit applying one size fits all business strategy in China and Europe and the same time in Australia and US. One global strategy is probably easier to manage but the company is wasting valuable resources down this road.
    Adapt and be flexible and nimble learn from the start-up culture instead of over burdening and eventually choking and demoralizing valuable and highly skilled people with bureaucracy, over-regulation, ITIL, other overkill overboard management shackles etc. in the end rendering them ineffective and unproductive.
    Capitalize on own technology instead helping the competition to gain more market share.
    Really invest in people and empower them and motivate them and let them bring more legitimate and long term business.

Do not work there more then a few years, any longer will hurt your career.

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work at home option, though that could be seen as a negative as could be working all hours of day and weekends

Cons

The pay was below market value, and either no raise, or 1 percent, well below inflation and cost of living. Bonus program not meaningful as well, so no incentive to exceed, as no reward in the end.

Moral is terrible, the people are good, just don't care as the life has been taken out of them. Company does not seem willing to try to increase it either, even the smallest things might help, but management would never get it approved if they wanted.

To difficult to focus on work, as company throws to many road blocks at employees, smallest change requires a lot of paperwork and process to get through.

To many new processes coming in, which are not properly implemented and poor tools. Process owners do not even understand the processes they are implementing.

Would not recommend to a person who wants a long term career with IBM, a few years is more then enough. Get some experience working on some projects or enterprise software and systems, and then move on. Anymore and you will be doing your career a disservice as no way to advance or even make enough to support your family over the long run.

Care about your employees, I went to a new place, that cares, and makes the world of difference. Work way harder then I have in the last 5 or 6 years at IBM and I love it. Small things make the difference. Also reexamine your Pay, as it is woefully low for technical people, and when the economy turns around, IBM might no longer be able to attract local people, as they struggle right now. Can't do everything from India.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM