IBM
3.2 of 5 10,174 reviews
www.ibm.com Armonk, NY 5000+ Employees

Do not work there more then a few years, any longer will hurt your career.

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Proswork at home option, though that could be seen as a negative as could be working all hours of day and weekends

ConsThe pay was below market value, and either no raise, or 1 percent, well below inflation and cost of living. Bonus program not meaningful as well, so no incentive to exceed, as no reward in the end.

Moral is terrible, the people are good, just don't care as the life has been taken out of them. Company does not seem willing to try to increase it either, even the smallest things might help, but management would never get it approved if they wanted.

To difficult to focus on work, as company throws to many road blocks at employees, smallest change requires a lot of paperwork and process to get through.

To many new processes coming in, which are not properly implemented and poor tools. Process owners do not even understand the processes they are implementing.

Would not recommend to a person who wants a long term career with IBM, a few years is more then enough. Get some experience working on some projects or enterprise software and systems, and then move on. Anymore and you will be doing your career a disservice as no way to advance or even make enough to support your family over the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, I went to a new place, that cares, and makes the world of difference. Work way harder then I have in the last 5 or 6 years at IBM and I love it. Small things make the difference. Also reexamine your Pay, as it is woefully low for technical people, and when the economy turns around, IBM might no longer be able to attract local people, as they struggle right now. Can't do everything from India.

Transforming environment, highly recommended:-)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM

Pros: Ideal culture (healthy blend of youth and experience). Lot of opportunities to sharpen the… Cons: Like most companies, IBM too does not have significant downsides. Occasional discomfort is… More

IBM is a company you can be proud to work for, where advancement is based on merit, hard work, and passion

Senior Business Development Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Your colleagues will challenge you professionally, your goals will be set for your ability to achieve them, and there are endless possibilities for the motivated… Cons: We work really really hard. If you appreciate the challenge and opportunity to build and own… Advice to Senior Management: Invest heavily in your 30-45 year old high achievers to ensure we stay… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.