IBM

www.ibm.com

Do not work there more then a few years, any longer will hurt your career.

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Proswork at home option, though that could be seen as a negative as could be working all hours of day and weekends

ConsThe pay was below market value, and either no raise, or 1 percent, well below inflation and cost of living. Bonus program not meaningful as well, so no incentive to exceed, as no reward in the end.

Moral is terrible, the people are good, just don't care as the life has been taken out of them. Company does not seem willing to try to increase it either, even the smallest things might help, but management would never get it approved if they wanted.

To difficult to focus on work, as company throws to many road blocks at employees, smallest change requires a lot of paperwork and process to get through.

To many new processes coming in, which are not properly implemented and poor tools. Process owners do not even understand the processes they are implementing.

Would not recommend to a person who wants a long term career with IBM, a few years is more then enough. Get some experience working on some projects or enterprise software and systems, and then move on. Anymore and you will be doing your career a disservice as no way to advance or even make enough to support your family over the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, I went to a new place, that cares, and makes the world of difference. Work way harder then I have in the last 5 or 6 years at IBM and I love it. Small things make the difference. Also reexamine your Pay, as it is woefully low for technical people, and when the economy turns around, IBM might no longer be able to attract local people, as they struggle right now. Can't do everything from India.

Good for a jumping off point, bad for a career

Systems Administrator III (Jazz In IBM Terms) (Current Employee) Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros: Benefits are some of the best in the industry, IBM brand still looks good on a resume. Great place to gain experience. If you are a… Cons: In these new "delivery centers" micromanagement is the encouraged norm not the exception. Be prepared to be forced to sit though lots of useless "GDF… Advice to Senior Management: There is some good stuff in the new GDF methodology but also lots of bad, stop trying to force it as the "one size fits… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

One of the worst jobs I've had

Account Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros: 1) IBM has name recognition 2) IBM has a long history Cons: Too many cons. 1) Dog eat dog environment. No team work or comradery. Everyone is out for themselves only 2) Given accounts that… Advice to Senior Management: GET OVER YOURSELF! Your are old school. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!