There are newer employer reviews for IBM

My internship has provided opportunities to interact with management of one of America's largest organizations.

Current Intern - Coop in Washington, DC (US)
Current Intern - Coop in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

IBM has a spectacular team. Everyone you work with is incredible. The company has an incomparable track record of innovation. The work/life balance is better than I've ever seen elsewhere. A lot of work can be done remotely.

Cons

With remote working, many people do not come into the office. This means you don't get to experience the excitement of a busy office or the physical company of your colleagues. If you thrive off human interaction in the work environment this could be considered a con.

reviews filtered by

Good experience

Former Contractor - Web Developer in East Lansing, MI (US)
    Former Contractor - Web Developer in East Lansing, MI (US)

I worked at IBM as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They have nice friendly people' and you get the chance to work with a vast array of technologies. Also, they trust you to make the right decisions with projects.

Cons

I was full time supplemental, which is a fixed contact for 3 years. It doesn't have much for career advancement potential. Great for just out of college people, but mid to senior people will find it very hard to be hired in as regular IBM.

Advice to Management

Establish a better career path for senior level developers.

It is a good place to work

Former Employee - Business Support Operations Specialist in Budapest (Hungary)
    Former Employee - Business Support Operations Specialist in Budapest (Hungary)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a nice company with many possibilities to develop yourself. If you are already in the company in any of the position, and you are doing your job good, than you have a lot of chance to get promoted, or if you are geting bored at your position, you can easily change to an other team. The managers are nice, and as far as the job is done, everything is flexible

Cons

The infrastructure is surprisingly bad. Despite the fact, that IBM is a leading IT company, the computers we were using are old and slow, and it makes a bit hard to work with them. And also the processes within the company are also slow (everything needs to be approved), for example: to hire someone (even to the lowest position) takes more months
    But I guess it is the same with all of the multinational companies.

Advice to Management

The decision making could be quicker, and the computers should be better

There are newer employer reviews for IBM