There are newer employer reviews for IBM

OK place to work if you don't mind red-tape and being part of a large herd.

I worked at IBM

Pros

- performance-oriented culture
- solid benefits
- easy to switch roles
- work/life flexibility
- mature processes & infrastructure
- stability & solid competitive positioning
- good overall senior leadership & strategy

Cons

- difficult to realize tangible impacts
- compensation is on the low side for non-technical positions
- high competition for promotions (lots of talent but minimal overall growth in opportunities)

Drive non-traditional methods of injecting energy and creativity to somewhat tired workforce. Encourage cross-migration of back-office and customer-facing or consulting positions.

11573 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Safer than most other areas

I have been working at IBM

Pros

In this era of outsourcing, STG is probably one of the "safer" areas to be in, particularly if you work in an STG area where you develop deliverables that are of a proprietary nature. By this I mean, due to the lack of intellectual property law enforcement in other countries, IBM will typically not outsource any sort of software development that might irreparably harm their bottom line should said product(s) be stolen or pirated (e.g. z/OS).

This doesn't mean that STG is uber-safe, just that certain areas within STG will be less likely to get nailed per my previous reference. Correspondingly, if you happen to be within an organization (e.g. GBS, GTS) where what you do could conceivably be performed remotely or where you could be easily replaced by someone who'll work for slave wages, then IMO it's just a matter of time before the hammer falls.

Cons

STG isn't all that much different from other IBM organizations, though colleagues of mine that made the jump from GTS/GBS say that it is a lot less stressful (less pressure on keeping utilizations absurdly high, more "normal" work weeks than the typical 60-80 hours that they'd been accustomed to). Of course, YMMV, depending on what group you end up in and who your manager is.

Of course this is a pipe dream but it'd be nice if IBM management in general would consider running the company more in the way of values and integrity that Watson had intended, as opposed to running it like a mindless, robotic corporate cost machine.

I realize that in the business climate of today, all corporations pray at the altar of the almighty dollar. It'd be nice though for someone or some entity to take a stand for once and do what's right versus what's most profitable. I don't expect to see this happen in my lifetime, though then again, perhaps this is just a realization of the monster that we've fed and created.

Good learning experience, but very bureaucratic.

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at IBM

Pros

It was a great place to work right out of undergrad. I learned a ton and got some great experience building fundamental business skills. There is a lot of room to succeed for driven, self-directed people.

Cons

It is a huge company, and all of the bureaucracy associated with that is present. Advancement is through very formulaic processes that don't reward results as much as time spent with the firm

Reward talent and spend more time developing the brand. IBM is still a computer company in most people's eyes. In most cases, this doesn't matter because clients know it is a services firm, but it is detrimental in recruiting top talent from universities.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!