There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great place to gain experience, but always had to "look over my shoulder"

Former Employee - Project Manager
Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at IBM

Pros

- IBMers are some of the best people to work with in terms of skill and dedication. I have learned a lot from my colleagues there.
- Excellent benefits including a pension (I am not sure if this is still available for new hires).

Cons

- Frequent Resource Actions (RIF)
- Always felt pressured to look for a new job within IBM even though my first line manager was a Professional Development Manager or a Resource Manager. Why not help me find a job?

- The resource actions that have been taken have affected the morale of your employees. I was RA'd in 2009, but I found a new job quickly and have not looked back. Remember these former employees will become employees of companies that will influence the purchase of your products or services --- or they may not.

11573 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

OK, but could have been better.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Big company, with possibility to work on different projects and areas based on interest. Lots of resources for learning, collaborating on different projects/technologies, etc.

Cons

Big company, strategy spread slowly and some projects seems to have a hard time identifying all stakeholders. Also, there are too many meetings, that sometimes get into the way of getting things done.

Please work more closely to provide big picture strategy, and be more candid with employee review process.

IBM Global Services - what is it

Current Employee - IT Specialist
    Current Employee - IT Specialist

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Decent medical coverage
    Ability to work from home.
    You manage your work.

Cons

Major red tapes which equates to overhead and productivity
    Huge overturned. Constantly training people. All most all position are offshored to India.
    US SME's train India to take their jobs.
    Constantly looking for new assignments or get on a "bench" and off the payroll. Most positions are 3-6 months term.
    Overworked, no time for training; can not take long vacation.
    No reimbursement for Internet access even though you work from home 100%.
    Perform consulting works without consulting pay.
    Can not plan for your future (big investment like buying a house) since there is no "job security"

Stop trying to do the dirty works for other corporations who try do massive layoff without a bad PR for a small fee. Your dirty work and a quick paycheck affect thousands of people and their families. Most of my peers were hard working, knowledgeable employee. They were gone because you moved the work elsewhere to less capable people.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!