There are newer employer reviews for IBM

IBM - Managing Consultant

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Charlotte, NC (US)
Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at IBM

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work on a number of different projects. I also worked with some great people.

Cons

I spoke to my manager (the one who was responsible for my career advancement) very little. It was very difficult to touch base with him to let him know what I was working on.

Talk to you employees.

11915 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Good place of work

I have been working at IBM

Pros

- many additional benefits
    - Huge knowledge databases
    - resume builder

Cons

- management quality
    - they cut almost all around work benefits ( no cafe, no hardware spendings etc)

Check how's the managers work in CEE region

Depends where you land

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at IBM

Pros

There are many parts to IBM, I highly recommend you speak to someone currently working there to pick out the division AND team you want to work for.

For me:

IBM has been EXTREMELY flexible. Whether it has been time off work, or working from another country so I could spend time with family. A lot of trust must exist before you endeavour upon such suggestion with the management.

Project choices have been more or less "get your job done, and then you can do anything you want". These can be completely left of field.

Some will argue that IBM doesn't pay 'rock-star' salaries, this is in fact the case for the majority of staff. If you on the other hand prove your worth, IBM will bend over backwards to provide a remuneration package that will surpass that of their competitors if you were to walk in off the street.

Cons

It's a BIG company. With the size comes a lot of slow decision making that is simply because too many ticks are required from too many people before anything gets done. This is extremely counter-productive.

- There is very limited empowerment to first and second-line management in basics such as hiring someone.

A lot of the time IBM seeks to protect its bottom line, and it does this through a high-margin game, instead of actually going after a product or service in the market that is looking to the future. IBM in many respects is stuck in 70's and 80's.

Give your management the ability to sign off on hiring someone when there is evidently budget and will from management. Too much red-tape, means you will lose quality people to your competitors.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM