Illumina Inc. Review

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Diagnostics Instrument Manufacturing in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, motivated and hard working employees, great people on a personal level

Cons

Same management team since early in the companys growth. Transitioning from start-up to small company to medium sized company with same management team has been challenging since they started as a Life Sciences company and are currently transitioning to add diagnostics and medical devices which are regulated by the FDA. Management often "doesn't know what they don't know". Without former experience with the FDA, sometimes management has overreacted to minor observations and not reacted enough to the need for more robust quality system needs. They are getting better but it has been more painful than it should have been.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who have former experience with the FDA and other regulatory agencies. It may not seem needed initially, but will pay itself back ten fold if 483 observations are minimized and product recalls are prevented.

reviews filtered by

Disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace and cutting edge technology

Cons

Lack of teamwork, poor management leadership and guidance, does not promote work-life balance, and a CYA environment

Advice to Management

Either develop or hire personnel in middle management

If the company had any respect for my profession, I'd love to work there

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Illumina as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology, great business "space" to be in
    Lots of smart people as worker-bees
    Awesome campus
    good place for someone who in the scientific part of the biz

Cons

My comments mirror many of the others....this company spends its money on the people who are developing the technology - the chemical, genetic end of the house is difficult to staff, and Illumiina works hard to find and attract talent to that area
    BUT
    the rest of the business suffers as a result. Business process infrastructure and systems are old; documentation is bloated, poorly managed, delivery of information is neither nimble nor scaleable. Current systems - like SalesForce - are so poorly implemented their use is avoided. Software is old and cobbled. There is little project managment (ya know, a schedule, critical path, risks, a goal..?), and I was a little amazed at the arrogance of some people who insist on ignoring best practices..

Advice to Management

This place needs a PMO office yesterday. Perhaps its acquistion by Roche will help push it into reality. My other advice would be to reconsider the grandfathered position bestowed on staff. The place uses a lot of contract workers. Good contract talent seems to be sacraficed and less productive staff remains. Bad for long-term health of the org. (See: teacher's union; tenure).