Not bad, but not inspiring

Current Employee - Director  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Fair bit of autonomy and some decent managers. It really depends on what company you work for inside of IPG that will determine your level of happiness.

Cons

There are a lot of politics and it's a boys club, especially at Mediabrands. Current leadership is uninspiring and there have been some questionable decisions made by top execs recently. Not sure what the future holds for IPG.

Let in inspired, creative folks and let them have a say. Lose egotistical upper management who can't lead or execute against a meaningful vision. Identify the people who are currently really doing things differently and promote them.

Other Reviews for Interpublic Group

Too corporate

I worked at Interpublic Group

Pros

The benefits are good. There is some opportunity to work across companies held by Interpublic Group. I like the ERG's.

Cons

It is a very corporate environment. Although it is in the creative industry, many new ideas are rejected because of corporate ideology.

Create a more inclusive environment. Many decisions are made behind close doors without input from employees. If you're going to hire someone in a management role, give his/her future direct reports an opportunity to meet them first

Good holding company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Benefits are good. Paid time off is good. The IT / Business Applications group doesn't have long hours unlike other lines of advertising, such as creative, account services, media, etc. My boss is knowledgeable and has worked her way up within the company. My team is willing to work with people to help them improve some performance issues, that are considered minor by management - (ie. coworker, doesn't communicate well to collegeaues in written format). Low level of stress.

Cons

This is specific to the IT/ Business Applications Group, I am in, not the entire company. I can't speak for the Finance, HR and Shared Services groups.

There doesn't seem to be any advancement opportunities. For example, other co-workers have been in their positions for many years 3-5, with two folks at 10+ years supporting users and implementing the business software. Other folks that were in the group, left after a few years to pursue other opportunities in IT/Business Applications, such as becoming lead PMO's (Project Managers or moving to a the vendor supplier side of business software).

Provide a career path for employees who perform well and deserve it. I can't imagine someone (who isn't in the C-Suite or a VP) doing the same job for 10+ years in today's business world without any sort of advancement at the lower levels. If there are no advancement opportunities available, how about providing the ability, for employees who are performing well, to make lateral moves into other areas of IT / Business Applications and/or IPG Corporate.

There are newer employer reviews for Interpublic Group.

Worked for Interpublic Group? Contribute to the Community!