There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt

Care nothing about drivers

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New Equipment
Electronic logs(not many like em but I do)
Never have to drive unsafe or out of hours

Cons

Pay is horrible, 11 yrs experience took a pay cut to .32 a mile
"dispatchers" treat and talk to you like crap..being college grads, they know more about driving ya know
Fuel bonus is very hard to get
No performance bonus or raise in all the 3 years I've been with them

Pay drivers better. If the CEO gets a yearly bonus, so should the drivers. Hire some Fleet Managers that have common sense and treat drivers a little better..and PLEASE get rid of Peoplenet. Its the worst software I've had the displeasure of using in my professional AND personal life.

248 Other Employee Reviews for J.B. Hunt (View Most Recent)

ICS... potential for growth but need to strengthen foundations

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time

Pros

- Huge growth opportunity in ICS (both as a division and for employees)
    - Ability to find opportunities in field branches across the US (new branches opening every year)
    - Solid benefits
    - Young, vibrant, and fun culture
    - Upper management, led by CEO John Roberts, has a great vision of how to improve JB Hunt services, increase market share, and continually grow JB Hunt as one of the top-quality transportation providers and consultants in the industry

Cons

- Your success and earnings is largely based on what branch you are assigned to. If you are assigned to a branch with poor leadership/management, this will be evident in the teams attitude, numbers, and productivity, which will directly impact your personal success and earnings. The same productive employee may flourish or fail depending on which branch he/she happens to be assigned to
    - Reviews are often delayed by managers
    - Compensation is not properly tiered for employees with various productivity (top performer versus average performer)

- Recognize your star performers and future leaders and compensate them properly. This is critical if ICS is to continue its long-term grown and success. Invest more in your people (not across the board necessarily but for those that are the most productive) and reap the benefits of higher returns. Slack on this investment and the future may hold stagnant growth due to the cost of rehires and lowering the bar for talent.

So far, so bad...Whether or not JBHT was a good foundation for me long term - yet to be determined....

Former Employee - Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise in Lowell, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise in Lowell, AR (US)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros of JBHT ? Well it was a job and paid the bills for a few years early in my career...It taught me how to handle stressful situations, how *not* to lead/manage people, and has in some arenas (where folks are familiar with how difficult an environment this organization was) reflected well on a resume. To be balanced and fair, while it was by far the exception rather than the norm, I did meet some great individuals and experience personal development while there. Company stock has outperformed, and Intermodal/DCS business units are solid to the portfolio and remain in a growth stage.

To what extent this place served as a solid start for my career is still yet to be determined - thus far I can only say it set me back professionally a few years and I'm still trying to make up that ground. Hopefully one day I'll look back and see it differently.

Cons

Where do I start ? I suppose the #1 issue JBHT had at its core was compensation. A good pay check covers many sins/ills, and much of the poor culture and bizarre managerial practices could be better tolerated if you were making money. Sadly, almost NOBODY makes any money at this company. Honestly, I rare encountered anyone who made $50K salary which is a fairly humble figure at most mid-cap to large companies. The company operated in the stone age when it came to HR practices - there were no pay bands, compensation was a very taboo topic, every time a budget cut was necessary employees salary/benefits were the first thing to go. Bonuses, even when metrics were achieved, were often times not granted due to a variety of lame reasons. I could write book about the "cons", but in general, there was little development of employees or fair compensation.

Promote integrity, fairness, and employee benefits. In other words: transform the culture. If you do this, they'll take care of you! This is being strategic and focusing more on the long term...Be slower to hire, vetting candidates thoroughly,and then develop/promote those individuals to encourage retention.

There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt