John Lewis

www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk
  www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk
There are newer employer reviews for John Lewis

A world class company where, with the right attitude, work ethic and focus, every Partner can feel a part of a family.

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  London, England
Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in London, England

I worked at John Lewis as a contractor

Pros

The benefits: annual bonus; discount at JL and Waitrose; an immense amount of leisure, learning and entertainment subsidies; corporate membership to many national institutions, a forward-thinking environment and a working environment in which anyone has the opportunity to flourish and better themselves.

Cons

Change is slow in comparison to other companies, but this makes sense because we are reluctant to make ill-considered choices that could potentially affect Partners' interests and the bonus. The salary range currently at JL is lower than it is at Waitrose, the salary is generally slightly lower than market rate and career progression is more difficult than elsewhere.

Weed out the hard-working Partners who truly display and demonstrate the six Partner Behaviours from those who seemingly do so by employing underhand negative Partner characteristics which the Partnership does not tolerate.

74 Other Employee Reviews for John Lewis (View Most Recent)

Good

Current Employee - Administration Assistant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Administration Assistant in London, England

I have been working at John Lewis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fab Discount, Bonus, holidays, sample sale and great pension.

Cons

Job levelling which prevents you from applying for roles more than 1 grade above your role even if you have experience from outside the business which can make it very difficult to progress within the company.

Getting a pay rise is also very difficult even if you meet your objectives and business targets.

Too many managers in head office and not enough positions below.

Long hours within some departments and very difficult to get time back or over time.

Mediocre at best; few opportunities, no rewards

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at John Lewis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Bonus scheme is quite good, and it's nice that everyone qualifies, this is a good incentive when trying to motivate teams. They're good for things like holidays and flexibility, and there is a fairly useful support network should you have any personal or professional problems. Also, if you care, you are a 'Partner' and co-owner, and you have a 'voice' within the Partnership

Cons

Politics. Same as everywhere I suppose, however being in middle management is a real chore due to the fact that all of your team are 'Partners' and therefore think they have a say in the day to day running of operations; no one higher up is prepared to tell them that we are co-owners not co-managers. This leaves you with absolutely no support and the constant threat of your non-management team members taking grievances out against you or going to your boss because they see you implementing company policies as unfair and bullying behaviour. Despite how hard you work or you job performance in general, if your face doesn't fit you aren't getting any opportunities or promotions, and your face fitting is the main criteria higher management use. I have, on several occasions, stood and watched useless people being promoted above me because they make all the right noises. The business model is quite a genius way to get the bottom rung of the ladder cost saving and 'taking ownership', as they have a vested interest in bonus and the company, however it's pst irritating having to peddle this rubbish and being able to see through it all. Whether or not I leave the lights on in my office is, on the whole, unlikely to affect my bonus. My boss also happens to be a sexist, but I wouldn't hold that against the company as a whole.

Recognise skills and ability over political nonsense.

There are newer employer reviews for John Lewis

Worked for John Lewis? Contribute to the Community!