There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

So far a great experience.

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for less than a year

Pros

Treatment of employees, pay, benefits, peers.

Cons

Not sure yet, have not experienced any.

1654 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

Engineering is better than expected

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Oakland, CA (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

Pros

Positive work environment. I think people (myself included) feel good about providing useful health management tools. Team is mostly very good -- some surprising talent there. Good pay/benefits. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Limited holidays. Engineering shares space with business which makes no sense (engineers need to concentrate -- hard to do when people frequently talk around you). Slight disconnect between business and engineering with respect to expectations and development cycle (it's agile on a 2-week cycle, but business sometimes thinks their requests should be immediately implemented.

Consider reducing 60% contractor ratio. I realize you must consider this a cost-saving tactic, but I think there are hidden costs to this approach which aren't easily quantifiable. You presumably supported the switch to agile, so please respect the necessity of sticking to the cycle -- 2 weeks really isn't that long to wait for a new feature. :-)

CSC in San Diego is a great place to work

Former Employee - Account Administrative Representative  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Administrative Representative in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay and benefits are good. You have an option to opt out of Kaisers benefits and receive a percentage of pay increase by doing so. There is quite a bit of training that you are allowed to take as many times as you feel the need to. Kaiser is represented by a union so the rules are really strict, but on the reverse you have to really mess up in order for them to be able to fire you. Kaiser does a lot of promoting from within. After 15 years of working with the company, upon retirement , you get lifetime benefits. The only reason I left was due to relocation.

Cons

Being part of a union, you are in trouble if you are a minute late, and will be written up after so many times. This is just one of the strict rules. You will be held accountable for your work, so it's best that you really get all you can get out of training. If you do choose to opt out of benefits, this also includes your paid vacation time. You will receive some vacation time, but it will be unpaid, including maternity leave.

I had excellent management. They always asked the employees opinions and concerns.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!