There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser - The Handcuffs are Golden

Current Employee - Psychiatric Social Worker in Anaheim, CA (US)
Current Employee - Psychiatric Social Worker in Anaheim, CA (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

I work in Mental Health. The salary is one of the best in the social services, behavioral health industry. Benefits are good and our jobs are protected by SEIU-UHW West union membership, which isn't too common in mental health. Kaiser employees have strong job security, the average employee at Kaiser stays for more than 20 years. In my field we are also supported by Kaiser and the union to continue our education through paid education days and free classes sponsored by the union and Kaiser, which helps for those who are licensed. Vacation benefits start out at 24 days a year, our entire family is covered by Kaiser medical insurance at no cost to the employee, we have a good 401K that Kaiser contributes to after two years of employment - 1.25% of our annual compensation, as well as a retirement pension. Part-time employees also receive benefits and they are flexible with work hours in mental health - 4/10 work weeks or other configurations. If you want to work in mental health, learn more, grow as a professional, Kaiser presents a great opportunity for this.

Cons

The work load at Kaiser can be overwhelming at times, their desire is that every hour of the day be filled with a patient, which can be very draining in mental health. Communication between departments isn't efficient and frequently, although we can be interdependent, we don't really know what the other department does specifically, or how they function, and vice versa. Also, much of the job satisfaction for staff in behavioral health is connected to the style of management in their clinic, which varies from caring and supportive to indifferent and neglectful. This is a problem across the board within Kaiser. My experience of Kaiser management, senior and line, is that they are generally polite and respectful. Nevertheless, it is easy to get typed at Kaiser which will determine future opportunities or lack thereof.

Be more authentic in your dealings with the at-times-overworked staff, work jointly to improve job satisfaction with real compromise and consideration of new ideas.

1722 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

KP Review

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

The mission of the organization is by far the best reason to work for KP. We are the solution for health care in the United States. Typically employees "get along" and because of this KP is a very pleasant work place. Work/Life balance is also very good and is emphasized by management. The idea of the Labor Management Partnership and UBT's is also very forward thinking and could be a model for employee/labor relations in the future if it is implemented correctly.

Cons

It takes forever sometimes to make a decision- because of lots of red tape and the fact that KP is a consensus based culture.

Take steps to become a more efficient and nimble organization. Do not try to follow competitors- constantly push the leading edge. Just because our competitors are going to higher cost sharing products that does not mean that we need to. We need to simply provide the best possible value and quality and growth will follow. Cull out those in Senior, Labor and Middle management/leadership who are holding up the realization of LMP and UBT's.

Kaiser is a fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - PACS Administrator in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - PACS Administrator in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Job Security, Job Satisfaction, Ability to make decisions that have a positive impact on patient care

Cons

Loooong hours (but that's what it takes to be the best!)

Continue to invest in the employees

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente