There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Great team environment but Executives are worked like dogs

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The store has a great team environment, one big family. Development is non-stop and the company continually looks to promote from within.

Cons

Store hours are not condusive to a healthy work-life balance. Often times executives are expected to close late (11 p.m. or later) and turn around and be back at 6 a.m. Store Manager does not seem to put as much support into the Executive team, often times leaving them to cover SM shift when the SM leaves early. Equality among the Executive team is non-existent, often times leaving 1 executive handling 80% of the load themselves.

Take more interest the how happy your team really is. Offer to handle the front lines more often so the team can focus on what needs to be done and get tasks completed efficiently. Have more consideration for work-life balance for entire team and not just themselves.

2273 Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's (View Most Recent)

Waste of my life

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Tukwila, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Tukwila, WA (US)

I worked at Kohl's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts are ok and some of the people you work with are amazing at their job

Cons

If you are good at your job you wont get a promotion. They give it to the people that they want to keep in one spot.

DO NOT expect great things!

Current Employee - Associate in Mantua, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Mantua, NJ (US)

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent employee discount. Nice break room.

Cons

NO work life balance because the work hours are inconsistent. You will work until 11:30pm and be back to work by 7:30am. Super low pay scale with high expectations. Yearly reviews are a joke. Was given a great evauation but it had to be changed because the manager is not allowed to give out evaluations that have the highest marks. I was told there is a scale that must be followed and a lot of the evaluations had to be changed to follow company protocol. So, my evaluation was tweaked to reflect company protocol and my scores were lowered slightly.....but I wasn't supposed to tell you that. The manager told me I shouldn 't have been told about that policy but I guess it slipped out.. POOR training...basically thrown to the wolves. No communication between management and associates. If you are a mind reader you will excel. Made to take verbal abuse from customers with a smile. Whatever the customer wants they get because they say so. No support for individual departments from management. Female management goes to lunch together and leaves an associate in the manage'ssupervisor's role while they eat. Associates not all treated th same. FAVORTISM!

All management should know how each department runs in Kohl's. Hearing I don't know when I ask a question is not a good answer. If you are young and in charge remember you do not have the life experiences and work experiences to be a truly effective leader. Your department supervisors make Kohl's what it is. Stop taking responsibility for what the asociates do.

There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's