Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

www.kratosdefense.com
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review

Toxic environment

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company got me up and running with all the supplies, software, computer and permissions I needed within a week of starting, nice break room, could make your own hours as long as you completed your work & did the minimum 40 hrs per week

Cons

Very poor communication, if you weren't in management you knew there were secret meetings going on that you were not invited to, unrealistic deadlines, management turned a blind eye to any process improvements, lots of layoffs and not many potential contracts in the pipeline, good employees left, bad managers stayed on? No training or opportunity to change positions

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees, communicate, say No to unrealistic deadlines - giving a crappy product on-schedule means nothing, improve image to win new contracts

reviews filtered by

Five Years of Opportunity and Exposure to Tier 1 Developers

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Engineer in Springfield, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Engineer in Springfield, VA (US)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over the five years between 2006 - 2011, as an Engineer, I worked on 3 contracts and gain a lot of experience. My business manager was aggressive, fair and provided opportunity to shine and supported training funds for personal development. While at KRATOS, upper management did a great job with benefits (pay raises were fair in the beginning and then went flat in 2010 & 2011).

Cons

KRATOS has gone through many growing pains and depending on your current manager and contract. Like many DOD contractors, you are only viable if you are billable. With all the acquisitions, the company has had a lot of turnover, but that happens in a growing company in DOD.

Advice to Management

Keep growing, but do not lose sight of the value of your employees on-site with the client.

Used and dumped

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time

Pros

Steady stream of work, company is doing well financially, expanding

Cons

To begin with, the chain of command is very messed up. I had no immediate supervisor to report to, and the person that was listed as my 'boss' knew nothing about my department or line of work and only checked in on me once every couple of weeks. However, I realize that some companies work well with this type of structure. That is not my main complaint.

I was hired on a temporary basis, but about a month into my employment my higher ups started giving me very encouraging words that they had won a contract and were about to bring in a BUNCH of more workers, so I'd be a shoe-in for being brought on permanently. These words of encouragement continued throughout the duration of my employment, and they fully gave the impression that I was pretty much good as permanent.

Three months in we had a massive multi-week effort to move from our crappy warehouse building to a big fancy new custom-built building across town. They sent out a seating chart for the new building and my name was curiously missing. I assumed this was because I was currently a Temp and had them pencil me into an empty cubicle. Like everybody else in the company I did my part to pack up stuff, move stuff, unload stuff at the new building, and hook stuff up. Everybody was very excited and we couldn't wait to start our new life in a fancy new location.

On the first day we were in our new building, after I had unpacked, hooked up all of the equipment in my cubicle and started to settle in, I was informed that I was being laid off immediately.

No words to describe the sense of betrayal.

Advice to Management

Employees are not tools, they are assets.