There are newer employer reviews for LSE

bureaucratic but a great place to work

Current Employee - Academic Support Staff Member in London, England
Current Employee - Academic Support Staff Member in London, England

I have been working at LSE part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, collegial work environment, a diverse group of colleagues

Cons

Bureaucratic with many parts of the university administration not seeming to know what the others are doing

Advice to Management

Better communication needed between administrative departments

reviews filtered by

Career-track Lecturer/Assistant Professor

Current Employee - Lecturer in London, England

I have been working at LSE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location in London; high quality students to teach; flexibility in working hours; some control over work agenda; name recognition internationally; opportunity to influence public opinion; opportunity to meet opinion-leaders from around the world.

Cons

Salaries too low for cost of living in London; Tenure does not bring with it the same benefits it does in the US; autonomy as an instructor low compared with US; central management overly-directive at times.

2. world class institution, second class facilities, bureaucratic but kind and supportive

Current Employee - Lecturer in London, England

I have been working at LSE

Pros

The brand has global prestige. The people are generally top-notch. There is a surprising lack of arrogance amongst most. The institution offers many courses and programs for faculty development.

Cons

Teaching load often too high to make much research happen during term time. Marking / grading process is ridiculously painful and archaic. Often concerns with standards and fairness mean that students are not learning as much as they should.

Advice to Management

Work to remove bureaucracy as much as possible. Pay more to faculty in order to retain them. Currently faculty often need to work extra jobs - like summer school or consulting - simply to make ends meet in London.