Lakeshore Learning Materials

www.lakeshorelearning.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Lakeshore Learning Materials

Only for people that work hard

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA (US)

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Politically savvy people can get ahead, hard working people can have longevity within the company, profit sharing is really nice, daycare on site at a discount..

Cons

Lots of politics, people are promoted that are lacking adequate qualifications, change in management direction can be frequent and vague.

reviews filtered by

Great products, good people, but there's definitely a strong element of micromanagement

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

You can feel good about the products (educational toys for children, materials for teachers)
    Most of your co-workers are friendly, energetic, fun-loving
    Profit sharing, if you stick around more than two years
    Casual workplace- shorts and flip flops? Sure!

Cons

Micromanagement, undercurrent of employee distrust, inconsistent accountability esp among managers, expectation that you'll work long hours - sometimes implied, sometimes stated, antiquated IT systems, 45 minute lunches

Advice to Management

Hold managers and employees to the same standard, trust employees more - sharing the WiFi password would be a good start, upgrade IT systems, do a better job recognizing , developing, and rewarding talent, ease up on the micronanagement as the cultural fear of making a mistake stifles risk taking and innovation

Family run organization that's run like a Dictatorship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA (US)

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People working there are great, the dress code is very casual which is a perk, and Halloween is a lot of fun.

Cons

The owners of the company can be a little crazy. There have been several occasions where one of the owners goes on a rampage in the office, screaming and cursing at the top of his lungs. If you get him mad he will throw things at you (I swear on my mothers grave I'm not lying) and walk up and down the hall banging on the walls (real mature for a man in his 60's). Pay is very low, the female to male ratio is very high because the owners know they can pay females less. Most of the time your working more than 40 hours a week and not getting compensated for the amount of hard work you put in. Not a place I would reccomend to work at, unless you like the sound of screaming and cursing.

Advice to Management

Pay people a decent wage for those who put in the work. The main owner needs to stop acting like a child and quit throwing fits. They need a REAL CEO, one who has experience and knows what they're doing, not one who is in the position just because he is the son of the owner.

There are newer employer reviews for Lakeshore Learning Materials