Lockheed Martin

www.lockheedmartin.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Good company to work for but I've only worked one place out of college

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
Current Employee - Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Schedule flexibility, not too stressful or challenging, fitness center on site, lots of activities or community service to get involved in, you can move around in the company to other groups

Cons

Sometimes work is slow and boring, politics, endless meetings, not a place to make friends, most employees are older

Try to talk to young engineers a lot and make sure they are satisified at work or help them move around so they can be

2688 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

I was there but I'm glad I'm out.

Former Employee - Functional Analyst in Woodlawn, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Functional Analyst in Woodlawn, MD (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed Martin Information Systems has a lot of contracts across the United States, with a lot of Federal and state agencies. So Lockheed Martin Information Systems is almost always hiring somewhere, at some time. They are a known "brand" so they might look good on your resume, and the job title they give you might even impress someone who doesn't know any better. But the best reason to work for Lockheed Martin Information Systems is the deep feeling of joy and satisfaction when you quit for a job that isn't sucking all the joy out of your life. Your opinion might vary.

Cons

Oh, let me tell the ways I hated, hated, hated working there. I had a fairly decent job working for another Federal contractor with good wages and respectable raises annually. Lockheed Martin Information Systems came in with a "low ball" bid and won out over the good company that had that contract but to fulfill the contract for the rates they bid, they fired half the incumbent staff (and the firings seemed to be of everyone earning more), and dragged in inexperienced temps to take over from staff who had been doing the job for years. They hired people at one salary and then announced a lower salary on the first day. They were very closed mouth about how much new hires would be paying for health care, so the salary you negotiated in good faith was suddenly about 75% of that amount, with the rest going to pay for insurance. There's no paid family leave--my husband was in a coma but I had to come in and work every day because we wouldn't have had an income, otherwise. Oh, and the white men were routinely paid more than minorities and women.

Treat your employees they way you would want to be treated. If there are bonuses, you could buy a lot of good will by awarding a flat amount to everyone, not just a percentage, so the rich get richer and the poor stay put.

Stay away from Lockheed Martin Michoud.

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer Associate in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer Associate in New Orleans, LA (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Once you get in, you have an easier time getting a job in a better location. This is especially useful if you are the secondary income in your immediate family or willing and able to relocate for improved conditions.

It also looks pretty good on a resume to many prospective employers and it provides decent benefits, if not compensation.

Theoretically, there are many training opportunities to be had. This includes college compensation and new technologies training and coursework.

You get the idea that you are contributing to history in a significant way, though this is billed as some extra form of compensation at times.

Cons

This particular location is rife with nepotism and run by people who have no experience with the larger company. It has been described as backward compared to other locations, particularly with respect to employee advancement.

The manufacturing portion of the facility, with which interaction is crucial, is union run. This allows factory labor to be inefficient and promotes a culture where over-time is the only time work actually gets done. Somehow, this same circumstance encourages labor to cover up mistakes for each other so that failures are not properly dealt with.

Management often doesn't know the effects of their own command media. This means that harmful side effects of top-down directions are usually not corrected until after significant damage is done.

Management likes to treat employees as mindless drones. For instance, the fact that average pay is low does not register, with some even trying to portray pay as high. The anti-advancement culture is indicative of a larger trend where the last few technology jobs that remain in Louisiana are disappearing.

Adopt better policies towards promotion and advancement. Stop promoting people who aren't so good at their job, but say the right things. Take criticism occasionally.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin