Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin: A Giant In Industry and In Agility

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer
Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed Martin offers a great amount of security and professional growth for a wide variety of career paths due to its size and reach - there are Lockheed Martin facilities in nearly every state and many other countries. Awesome benefits compared to other companies, especially when it comes to relocation to another LM unit. Ease of transfer as well - just find a place you want to live and odds are LM is there already.

Cons

The company is extremely large and tends to move slower than a startup, so if someone is seeking a fast-paced environment, they may not be pleased with this company. The company is also very "politically correct", due to lawsuits and fines, so creativity and the x-factor of workplace synergy can sometimes be stifled.

Keep things simple! Get away from re-hashing the same corporate policies over and over again and start creating true value.

2520 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

I like it here.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Relative job security. Large variety of jobs.

Cons

Incompetent peers. Bureaucracy. Promotions are generally tethered your years of experience.

Better employee perks would be appreciated. Free soft drinks and snacks perhaps?

Lockheed Martin: a stable workplace in an unstable time.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed is stable in an unstsable economy. Because of it's size, we are able to weather problems in an unsettling time. When a program is cancelled, we attempt to shift employees to another project. We'd rather keep employees than lose them. That is partially biased for working for LMSSC in Huntsville, AL, but I assume that all locations would share a similar ethic.

Cons

Lockeed Martin, like many large organizations, has a dual career ladder. The technical side is somewhat short and pointy - not much room for growth there as "there can be only one." The management side has more opportunity, but once you cross into functional leadership, you're taken away from all things technical. There is a 1/2 ladder associated with the techncal side (technical management), but it's also very competitive. Really, it's a stable place to work but you don't expect to stay here for 30 years and get to the top.

Senior managers are often highly skilled engineers with no leadership skills. If you're moving into either technical or functional management, go get an MBA and learn how to lead, not just manage.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin