A typical big bank looking for opportunities to get more money

Current Employee - Early Stage Credit Counselor  in  Buffalo, NY (US)
Current Employee - Early Stage Credit Counselor in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

My department has a very flexible schedule, we can make our own schedules month to month as long as we get our 40 hours in per week and work 1 night. Night shifts are usually 12-9pm. About half the employees in my department work nights which is valuable if you enjoy sleeping in. I work day shifts due to my schedule, so I work 1 night shift per week. Also management is great if something comes up and you have to switch your schedule around. We play month end games, and have incentives to try and hit goal. We can earn up to $1000 extra a month on just bonuses.

Cons

Unfortunately I think I have more cons than pros. One big one is the whole training process is horrible. M & T Bank does not train employees significantly enough to insert them into their hiring roles. From the moment I was hired I was trained for only about a week, which consisted of boring classroom experiences just going over material we already had in our employee binders. There are several systems and internet web sites that our department uses; unfortunately M&T Bank doesn't go over the different systems enough and show what employees should avoid in accounts they are looking at.

The next part is fellow employees and etiquette in the workplace. There seems to be no standard whatsoever. Our department kind of becomes a free for all to let employees do whatever they want. If you don't want to answer your phone, you don't. If you want to browse the internet all day, you can. If you want to get up and walk around all day, take long unnecessary breaks, and go smoke 12 times a day, you can. Unfortunately the more productive employees get stuck with their work while they take all these breaks and waste time. Also even though we work as a team, and we have team goals, the workplace is geared more towards individual goals.

The clientele we work with. We are making calls to very disgruntled people for the most part and conversations can go south quickly, also a lot of the calls that come in to collections are blind transfers from customer service or another collections department with little or no heads up to what is happening on the account. This equals massive confusion between the collector and the customer, not to mention about 50% of the calls that come in don't even belong in the right area of the bank.

I don't think all departments at M&T Bank are like mine, but mine seems to be filled with smoking, time wasting, talking-and-doing-anything except work people. It starts with the top down, and management seems to support this kind of environment as well.

Other Reviews for M&T Bank

I made so many wonderful contacts and learned a tremendous amount from my internship... M&T changed my career prospects.

Former Employee - Finance Intern  in  Buffalo, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Finance Intern in Buffalo, NY (US)

I worked at M&T Bank as an intern for less than a year

Pros

A lot of great networking opportunities, access to senior management, many learning opportunities. The bank is very stable and constantly growing, albeit at a slower pace than others but still growing while others may be taking losses and MTB is quite conservative.

Cons

Complaints from some of the entry level workers as being stuck in their roles for too long, could pay a little more

Make sure to recognize the efforts of the underlings, increase pay a bit more and possibly get out of your comfort zones to continue making MTB the best

Fairly Good Company in unstable banking times

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Wilmington, DE (US)
    Current Employee - Accountant in Wilmington, DE (US)

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company has had over 135 quarters of straight profits. Stable-does not look to merge with larger banks.

Cons

Certain employees with many years and experience are not promoted to Officers of the bank (extra perks such as bonuses) when other people with purely generous managers are promote (title/pay) with a yr or 2 tenure. Luck of the draw!

Make sure HR works to ensure each person has a career path. Not everyone does. For someone who likes the culture of the bank, they may leave because of immobility.

There are newer employer reviews for M&T Bank.

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!