There are newer employer reviews for MTV Networks

Great Internship at MTV.

Former Employee - Creative Music Integration Intern  in  Santa Monica, CA (US)
Former Employee - Creative Music Integration Intern in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Fun, young, energetic staff with a lot of good ideas. They don't take themselves too seriously, but do take their work very seriously. The work I did was not very "intern-y", and I was given responsibilities and trust in my capabilities.

Cons

Easy to blend in because the company is so large, and you will be forgotten if you do not network and make sure people remember you.

Continue to make interns feel valued and a useful part of the team.

354 Other Employee Reviews for MTV Networks (View Most Recent)

Lots of opportunities and job choices, great benefits, but internal promotion is lacking

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MTV Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Note, I worked previously at Nickelodeon so this review applies to all of Viacom Digital and not just MTV.

- great comprehensive benefits for FT staff and an annual bonus system.
    - flexible work arrangements ranging from shortened hours/weeks to tele-commuting from overseas
    - lots of amazing talented people
    - all the creative, business, and technical resources a huge company has to offer
    - tons of job options and opportunities to move between brands

Cons

- very difficult to get promoted inside the company. It's common for an employee to "bounce" to another company for a very short time and return to a different Viacom group in order to obtain the desired position(myself included).
    - the epitome of bureaucratic red tape throughout the entire company
    - endless internal groups can make navigating overly complex business requirements a nightmare
    - overall the company lags far behind in technological innovation
    - from my experience, a very weak and disorganized sales staff
    - digital salaries are below the industry standard
    - it's still primarily a TV company with inadequate emphasis placed on digital
    - bad attitudes and egos are prevalent in every department, particularly MTV. Constantly dealing with the "not my job" and "do as little as possible" attitudes is a challenge.

- Offer more opportunities for promotion to in-house staff.
    - Do less projects better. The more brands and sub-brands are added, the more watered down the resources and offerings become.
    - Shift more resources and executive strategy to digital in order to compete more effectively in the technological realm.
    - Pay your employees more competitive salaries.

Just a little patience...

I worked at MTV Networks as a contractor

Pros

They hire great mix of diverse people, have great IP to work with, and a creative work environment. There's always a new project or game in discussion which creates a fun buzz around the office.

Cons

HR, IT and other company approval processes were rarely efficient. This affected hiring and onboarding, which then affected engineering and product deadlines.

There are newer employer reviews for MTV Networks

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!