There are newer employer reviews for MYR Group

Sturgeon Electric is a good place to build a career.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO (US)
Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at MYR Group

Pros

Sturgeon is based on building and maintaining relationships with its customers. Because of this, it is a very satisfying place to work.

Sturgeon tends to be viewed as 'costly' though, in general, follows through with a high level of service and participation in the building process. When this is factored in, Sturgeon ends up with a customer that likely has spent the same or less than the "low bid" with a much better feeling about the product they have received.

Further, Sturgeon tends to specialize in more complex projects like hospitals, water treatment facilities, data centers, research laboratories, etc. This yields a more interesting "day to day" work aspect.

Cons

Sturgeon, like any organization, has its politics. Opportunity is afforded to anyone showing initiative, which is a good thing. However, the attitude can feel a little too open at times and those who have not shown initiative are sometimes rewarded when they have not produced on multiple occasions. I would not trade this for a gestapo, non-trusting type organization, though.

Also, the jury is still out, but I wonder what becoming a public company (under the MYR Group's ownership) will bring for Sturgeon. I don't trust that most investors understand basic assembly line type companies, let alone construction companies. This could become a downside when, and if, fickle investors want their money in a down-cycle or just when they get "scared".

Advice to Management

Continue to build Sturgeon's business on relationships and, more importantly, do not let those relationships go untended.

reviews filtered by

Massage glove in one hand and a knife in the other!

Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Henderson, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Henderson, CO (US)

I worked at MYR Group

Pros

They have competent craftsmen that are trained well. Sturgeon takes time to teach their people and is not affraid of promoting the most compitent people. They are well organized and have all the needed tools to work properly. They do not take short cuts and do pay attention to safety concerns that are addressed by crafts personel.

Cons

There was not much emphasis on a life work balance. There is also some favoratism that happens when work gets slow. They will always keep the craftsmen that are tied in tight with upper managment. They were always ready to get rid of people on the drop of a dime. This is just like most contactors.

Advice to Management

People get sick so please don't expect them to come to work sick. There are some people that work for the company that are bleeding you dry becasue you participate in favoratism.