Makerbot

www.makerbot.com
Engaged on Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot

Worker bee

Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY (US)
Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

health insurance for everyone, interesting company, free lunch on friday, innovative

Cons

little loyalty to employees, contracts of employment are very restrictive, lunch is usually pretty lame, never any drinks either. impulsive management, little transparency to staff, low pay

be nice to your employees

59 Other Employee Reviews for Makerbot (View Most Recent)

The Walmart of 3D printing

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

Cons

The lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

You're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.

"Retail Operator" was really a Brand Ambassador

Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as an independent retail operator for Makerbot, stationed at Home Depot. The hours were very good, as I am not a morning person. Ample paid time off, paid lunches, healthy salary. The management was helpful when they could be, but mostly stayed out of my business. Was given access to many resources, including Lynda.com.

Cons

Very little training. Once I was trained, I was basically on my own, not hearing from anyone at the company (outside of daily form-letter style emails) for often weeks at a time. We were considered employees, but were paid out of the marketing budget, which ultimately ran dry. Was given 11 days notice before termination. Was not offered an interview for the regional position that replaced my job, despite expressing interest in growing with the company from the start. The only mention of any kind of Christmas gift or bonus was an invitation to a party that happened in another city 900 miles away. Basically, I felt forgotten and unappreciated. I worked very hard to make myself noticed in a large company, and went out of my way to help out others in my position. I also spent time on my own learning more about the product and the processes that go into using the product to its full potential. None of this was ever acknowledged, outside of the occasional pat on the back from my direct supervisor, who I saw twice in six months. One of these meetings was to tell me I was laid off, which was done in public, at the Makerbot "kiosk". The end of the Home Depot retail operators program was handled very poorly.

Don't pay employees out of a pre-determined sum of money, and if you do, make it very clear that there is no room for advancement, and that this is a contract with an end date.

There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot