There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot

Worker bee

Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY (US)
Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

health insurance for everyone, interesting company, free lunch on friday, innovative

Cons

little loyalty to employees, contracts of employment are very restrictive, lunch is usually pretty lame, never any drinks either. impulsive management, little transparency to staff, low pay

be nice to your employees

46 Other Employee Reviews for Makerbot (View Most Recent)

The Walmart of 3D printing

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

Cons

The lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

You're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.

The talent is leaking out.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health plans are pretty good.
    Work environment is jovial, with a touch of job fatalism.
    Free fruit, but only if you're early.
    Interesting coworkers, until they move on and upwards in their careers.
    3D printers everywhere, and if one has been repaired recently, it might even work!
    Being a part of something that is pretty likely to get at least a side-note in some history book.
    Resources are available for personal development, if you're in the right department or seen as valued.

Future product roadmaps look much less terrible than the current product. But they looked good in 2013, too...

Cons

Some of my Pros have disclaimers.
    HR is seen as scary, manipulative, and more a foe than a friend.
    The "absolutely everyone hates the company" attitude assumed by all non-manager employees. It's toxic, and rapidly assimilates any new employee.
    Pay is below market average pretty much across the board, and leadership has almost flatly stated this is not changing.
    Pep-talks given by the CEO (Jenny Lawton) in which she reaffirms our commitment to a "minimum viable product."
    Really awful Flavia instant coffee.
    Office politics, with a side dish of nepotism.
    Facilities are in "historic" buildings, and undergoing construction.
    Office rules that are both poorly communicated and intrusive to getting work done.
    Having expertise is not seen by managers as a reason to be listened to.
    Impossible to correct, arbitrary project planning decisions.

The 5th generation models were shipped prematurely, and have been consumer-hostile nightmares. Quality is less important than being shippable.

I am deeply dissatisfied with the "leadership." My perception is that their first and foremost priority has been ladder climbing and pocket-lining for the last two years. They were quite successful, at quite the cost to anyone foolish enough to stick around. I honestly don't know what to say other than "please see yourself out." Leadership is of course not going to read this, and unlikely to take on any changes that make them less profit.

See about matching the compensation and amenities of, say, any reasonable non-startup tech company. Stop pretending it's an honor to be an employee, and pay a market rate, or this company will continue to leak what talent it has ever had.

There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot