There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot

toxic workplace.

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people doing the work.
3D printing is the future.

Cons

I've been here less than a year, but here goes:

We just launched a new product yet morale is at an all-time low - and the top brass doesn't even know that's the reality, or refuses to confront it.

Very little respect for their own community and their own employees. Complete sense of entitlement from the top brass in every interaction between company and people.

CEO is like others have said way way in over his head. He's paranoid about everyone, that they're out to get him, and completely impulsive about every single aspect of the company and the products. He won't acknowledge his shortcomings, instead he prefers to pretend to know what he's doing.

He hired his father to run the marketing team. It's very weird.

CEO has over inflated ego that is constantly fed by everyone at the company all the time. He's bought into his own BS and acts like he's Steve Jobs. He's definitely not.

Work environment is completely paranoid - people are let go constantly with little regard. Blame is always on the employees without any sincere explanations, and often leads to impulsive firings.

Management never looks inwards for -their dissatisfaction - of employee's work, expectations, and reporting structure.

Expectation that you should be extremely grateful for even having a job at all- especially at this company. That only goes so far.

No longer a startup - gone corporate, but without the trappings, only the pitfalls.

what's there to say? This can't work long term, but maybe you don't care about the long term.

43 Other Employee Reviews for Makerbot (View Most Recent)

Worker bee

Current Employee - Maker Maker  in  Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

health insurance for everyone, interesting company, free lunch on friday, innovative

Cons

little loyalty to employees, contracts of employment are very restrictive, lunch is usually pretty lame, never any drinks either. impulsive management, little transparency to staff, low pay

be nice to your employees

The Walmart of 3D printing

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros

This used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

Cons

The lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

You're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.

There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!