Market Strategies International

www.marketstrategies.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Market Strategies International

Standard marketing research firm, but stable and growing opportunity in otherwise economically depressed area

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Scientist in Portland, OR (US)
Former Employee - Senior Marketing Scientist in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Market Strategies International

Pros

MSI is a stable and growing company, which seems to be unusual in Detroit. They have a strong and growing position in tracking research.

Cons

As with many marketing research companies their employees tend to lack business acumen. Lower level employees seem to feel there are few growth opportunities, with many employees stagnating in place for extended periods. For employees, lacks the breadth of experience found at other companies for which I have worked.

Advice to Management

Word on the street is that lower level employees are frustrated with an inability to grow professionally. I've heard this from several people.

reviews filtered by

A culture of smart, ethically-centered people

I have been working at Market Strategies International

Pros

There are a lot of really smart, committed, forward-thinking people in this organization--and, given the relatively entrepreneurial culture, it is possible to change the company by getting out in front of an initiative and pushing hard. The quality of the work being done here is truly a cut--and often several cuts--above what's going on in other parts of the industry. Finally (and this may sound weird, in these times), this is a company that really has an ethical center. There is a kind of old-world probity to the way that the company is managed and the way people treat their work.

Cons

The company is certainly in more of a growth mode than it has been historically--and growth inevitably means change. So far, those changes have been good changes, but that's something that requires constant care and feeding. The concern is that senior management continue to stay focused on the right kinds of strategic growth for the company--and communicate the growth plan (if and as it changes) to everyone throughout the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to work hard at listening to employees throughout the organization--not just listening to senior managers. Continue the ongoing focus on quality and ethical standards. Keep focused on long-term strategic vision, not quarterly financials (which, so far, has not been an issue...but is always a bit of a worry when you're majority-owned by a private equity company).