There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Employee friendly

I worked at Marriott (more than an year)

Pros

Employee friendly and decent benefits

Cons

Not too friendly with schedules

1354 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Marriott offers a good career.

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Corporation offers good advancement and is really an equal opportunity employer.

Cons

Some jobs require weekend or late hours, but is expected.

Keep JW Marriott's and his son's values, and respect for employees.

Good Company When Under the Right Manager

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Bethesda, MD (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can only speak to my experience at the corporate level, which I hear is different than that at the hotel level. At HQ, I liked that Marriott made a conscious effort to keep an upbeat environment for employees with different activities and events for employees on a regular basis. We also had plenty of perks like a nice cafeteria, gym, daycare, convenience store and other things, right in the building. And of course, the best perk of all: NICE HOTEL DISCOUNTS. We also had a good benefits package, but I'm not sure that I would call it super outstanding when comparing it to the other benefits my friends receive at other Fortune 500 companies (or even smaller companies).

Cons

Although Marriott prides itself in offering a good work-life balance, having won many awards for one of the best places for working moms, I (nor many in my department) experienced those benefits. I know that many in the HQ building did enjoy the ability to telecommute and the ability to have a flexible schedule, but I also heard many who didn't, so it all depended on who was your manager.

Another area of weakness was the excessive micromanaging. My department had a couple managers did it too much and this sometimes lowered our morale.

And another issue that I had while at Marriott was the lack of ability to move to other positions. I was a good performer at my job. So the one thing I thought my manager did a good job at while I was there, was supporting me when she knew that I had outgrown my position and needed to move into a different/bigger role. That didn't help at all because the two or three times I tried to apply for other positions for which I qualified, I didn't even get a courtesy e-mail or call acknowledging my interest for the position and letting me where I stood. This is another area, however, that doesn't apply to everybody. I saw many people who did move to different positions within the company and others who had the same issue I did. I guess we just didn't know how to "play the game."

Hold all managers accountable for following the Marriott culture

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott