MasterCard
www.mastercard.com Purchase, NY 5000+ Employees

My expectations were wrong

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at MasterCard

ProsWhen I thought about joining MasterCard, I had reservations. It appeared to be a good place to go if you had decided you wanted to coast along, and do a minimal amount of work. But my interview, and my subsequent job experience proved otherwise.

MasterCard is full of bright people, who are energetic and know the industry. With rare exception, I was impressed by the people I met, their backgrounds and the competency they brought to the tasks at hand.

For people who are interested in the payments space, it's a great place to work.

ConsOn the other hand, I would say that MasterCard is unnecessarily bureaucratic for an organization of its size. Because of the incentive system and other factors, there's a lot of turf battles, less than needed coordination, and inefficiencies. However, there is a concerted effort (and there has been for many years) to change that.

The IPO appeared to also change how the business was run--more risk adversion, more of a short term focus, more attention to boosting the daily stock price.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so risk adverse and allowing HR and Legal to run the business. Create better coordination by revising the incentive structure and individual objectives.

Historically has paid well with profit sharing. Can be a frustrating place to work

Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros: MasterCard does pay well in comparison to other companies and… Cons: MasterCard has become way too risk averse. they won't fire people who should be let go, they take forever to make a… Advice to Senior Management: Upper management should do a better job of knowing who's who within the company. who is well respected,… More

Out with the old

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros: Truly global company with many opportunities to work with and… Cons: Executive Management are essentially people who grew up in the old association and therefore have no idea… Advice to Senior Management: The unbelievable luck we've had to be in an industry growing 20% for years is just that...luck. Now that this growth is slowing, we… More

There are newer reviews on MasterCard.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All reviews posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.