MasterCard

www.mastercard.com
  www.mastercard.com
There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard

Great Brand, Good working conditions but difficult environment to get things done

Former Employee - Market Leader  in  Purchase, NY (US)
Former Employee - Market Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Everybody has heard of the company, you don't need to explain what your employer does. And for newbies to the industry, MCW does a great job of orientation and training new employees. The company offers good benefits and pay, though they have been pared significantly for new hires since 2007. The Purchase HQ and grounds are a beautiful place to work, but isolated if you're used to the bustle of Manhattan.

Cons

MCW is a remarkably bureaucratic environment and often hard to get things done in timely, efficient manner. For all the talk about acting with a sense of urgency, even a simple project can drag on for months--thanks to the "matrixed" environment, buy-in and consensus is required for just about everything, and is often an excuse for manager and lawyers who don't know anything to stick their fingers into your project. (In fairness, I've been told this is beginning to change under the new CEO who just came in.) But an awful lot of what I did was "meta"-work -- work we had to do to prove to somebody else in the organization why we should be allowed to do our real work our way.

Reducing the number of meetings and strip out the bureaucracy would allow employees to actually get on and do their jobs.

281 Other Employee Reviews for MasterCard (View Most Recent)

thoughts on mastercard

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Talented co-workers, fairly innovative, good benefits.

Cons

difficult to move professionally, management is weak

There is a need for critical management skills such as; developing people, taking risks, seeing mistakes as opportunities.

Observe and Learn - Is almost non existent

Current Employee - Business Leader
    Current Employee - Business Leader

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Compensation and work-life balance is among the best (except for peak seasons, which is normal in the financial and retail industries). Future vision and change strategy in place is great and if executed correctly, will be an even better place to work.

Cons

Excessive management layers and bureaucracies. No true channel for bottoms-up communication. Observing and learning from successful companies (e.g. Google, Apple, Walmart) and avoiding pitfalls from companies that failed (Kodak, Polaroid, American Automobile Manufacturers) is almost non-existent because of too much pride and ego in the excessive senior management layers. Really score in writing TPS reports and justifications.

Walk the talk. The vision and strategy in place is great. Execute and pay attention to people who does the real work in the company.

There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!