MasterCard

www.mastercard.com
  www.mastercard.com
There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard

Great Brand, Good working conditions but difficult environment to get things done

Former Employee - Market Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
Former Employee - Market Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Everybody has heard of the company, you don't need to explain what your employer does. And for newbies to the industry, MCW does a great job of orientation and training new employees. The company offers good benefits and pay, though they have been pared significantly for new hires since 2007. The Purchase HQ and grounds are a beautiful place to work, but isolated if you're used to the bustle of Manhattan.

Cons

MCW is a remarkably bureaucratic environment and often hard to get things done in timely, efficient manner. For all the talk about acting with a sense of urgency, even a simple project can drag on for months--thanks to the "matrixed" environment, buy-in and consensus is required for just about everything, and is often an excuse for manager and lawyers who don't know anything to stick their fingers into your project. (In fairness, I've been told this is beginning to change under the new CEO who just came in.) But an awful lot of what I did was "meta"-work -- work we had to do to prove to somebody else in the organization why we should be allowed to do our real work our way.

Reducing the number of meetings and strip out the bureaucracy would allow employees to actually get on and do their jobs.

297 Other Employee Reviews for MasterCard (View Most Recent)

Good place to work if you don't mind being amongst people who are waiting for retirement

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Great learning ground; Terrific amount of exposure to clients globally; Strong work life balance; Generally a nice group of employees.

Cons

Filled with top-heavy management whose day has come and gone -- they are waiting for stock to vest and retire... but why retire when you are paid well and work near your home?

Refresh your SBL/Group Head levels.

Good benefits, but weak HR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

There are good benefits provided by the company, There is a strong global network and some insightful research. Plenty of opportunities to work across multiple business units.

Cons

Poor communication from HR. Beware of the meeting culture. People host meetings when they could just communicate needs through email or over the phone.

Offer more open communication and reduce redundancy.

There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard