There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company

Good career booster, but be prepared for trade offs

Current Employee - Practice Expert  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
Current Employee - Practice Expert in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent experience, great opportunity to advance your career, and opportunities to learn a variety of topics based on your interest

Cons

Very political, ambitious colleagues may down you to higher ups for gain (seen this with those of similar tenure and had lower tenure employees do the same when I was senior), company now tracks every thing you do via electronics and you may run into problems if your private political views are expressed on company email or phone are different than those in your office (e.g. You are a Christian conservative in Cali), keep you personal life absolutely private

None

961 Other Employee Reviews for McKinsey & Company (View Most Recent)

Fanstastic learning experience, best job out of undergrad

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in New Delhi (India)

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The feedback culture is best for personal and professional development, challenging problems to solve, an intellectually stimulating atmosphere, problem solving and analytical sharpness get top priority, colleagues are lifelong friends!

Cons

Travel took a toll on my health and took me some time to learn how to manage my health with the work and travel

India office had Friday flybacks and not Thu flybacks which is the common practice in US offices. I believe things are changing now but my advice would be to institutionalize Thu flybacks so colleagues get more time to network with each other during in-office Fridays

MCK Associate

Former Employee - Associate  in  Moscow (Russia)
    Former Employee - Associate in Moscow (Russia)

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Powerful toolkit, tremendous depth & breadth of experience. Perspective on multiple industries, multiple functions. Unlimited opportunity for growth. Deep global resources and knowledge.

Cons

Occasional hierarchical people. Great training but insufficiently integrated. Chaotic sequence of training. Some issues with culture clashes among multinational employees. Good attempts made to head these off, but some are of course inevitable.

Continue to work on eliminating hierarchy. Develop clearer sequence of initial training to make it integrated and show path of learning in clear terms for new incoming consultants.

There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!