Media General
www.mediageneral.com Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

Sad

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than a year

ProsMost coworkers make it a fun and enjoyable place to work.

ConsDon't take a job as an inside sales rep. The call center is managed by people that will tell you what you want to hear at the interview, and then it's "their way or the highway" once you're hired. They micro-manage you to death. They use fear and intimidation to beat down the rank and file. If you have talent and can produce, you will ultimately be looking for another job once again. You can't even move to another department, as they will squash all attempts. Their egos will not allow you to get the better of them. At the interview, be sure to ask about the "Dialing for Donuts" room.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many people in supervisory positions that did not get to where they are through hard work and merit. Politics and the good old boy network are destroying your company. Do something before the Tampa Bay Times becomes the only paper in Tampa Bay. Listen to your employees at the lowest level. Don't rely on your managers to give you the real story.

Media General produces good journalism, but the company was not prepared for the digital age.

Digital Media (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Media General continues to be a good place to develop… Cons: There is no financial strategy for company web sites, so Media General… Advice to Senior Management: Please develop a digital strategy to take advantage of the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

A company going to the pits

Senior Executive (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Some nice folks who genuinely know the business and really… Cons: Good ol' Boys and Girls club. All taking care of each other until they retire in the next 5 to 10 years. No… Advice to Senior Management: Stopping fooling yourselves. You have no innovation in your… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Media General.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Media General reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Media General CEO Marshall N. Morton. All reviews posted anonymously by Media General employees.