There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

sales clerk

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in West Springfield, MA (US)
Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in West Springfield, MA (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent employee discount. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Low pay. Standing all day and walking around picking up merchandise off the floor.
Shelves and displays are over-packed and store is always a mess!

Treat employees with more respect and give new employees a store map to help customers find things. Also, make sure that sale items ring up at register correctly.

990 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Fun job. Former custom framer

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

I really enjoyed the work and people. I found the job and workplace pleasant and fun most of the time. There were also occasional opportunities to advance into higher positions. Co-workers were friendly and fun.

Cons

Pay and benefits were typical retail fare. Store became short-handed and I would be asked to take on the tasks of the workers that left, which they never replaced, so it became routine to do my tasks as well as the tasks of the people that left.

Pay and benefits could've been better for those in specialized trades/positions (framing, floral, etc). Didn't like having to pick up the work duties of other people who had left, which doesn't help the customers much either if stores are under-staffed.

Not enough responsibility

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I wasn't micromanaged and I loved my coworkers. My manager gave me extra hours when she realized that I was such a good employee, and it is nice to be appreciated.

Cons

Never got my discount card, not much communication between management and part time cashiers like me, and I had no responsibility to make my own judgments. Got thrown under the bus for a situation that occurred during a closing shift with a new manager and first time closing lead. Too much emphasis on getting email addresses.

Don't just fire someone for the sake of firing them because something bad happened.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores