Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

became a lead from a SE

Current Employee - Technical Lead
Current Employee - Technical Lead

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People friendly company, good work culture

Cons

not focused on solutions, too much focus on UX than strategy

8773 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

The product is alright but could be better

I have been working at Microsoft part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The product is easy to use

Cons

Needs to keep being updated

Make product cheaper

Great People, Good Pay, Work/Life balance only ok to poor (but they were working on that as I was leaving).

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Colonias, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Colonias, TX (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

#1. Smart co-workers everywhere, and you'll bond soon enough when "con #1" (below) happens.
    #2. They had started working on Flexible work arrangements and it was working well.
    #3. You will be challenged
    #4. Some great HR and pay polices

Cons

#1 Depending on which group you are in, the business cycle is around 3 to 4 years, you will have a very demanding peak period. For Dev it is the "death march" in the last 3 to 6 months (to year) before RTM, for CSS, Premier, and HR it is 3 to 6 months after RTM. - Just learn to ride the wave... whatever cycle your business rides, find it, accept it, and keep your feet underneath you. It will level off in 6 to 9 months.Morale always drops, don't get caught in that wave, it will make your time miserable. Keep your chin up, keep your balance, and you can acctually rise up quickly during the high tide.

#2 Some really bad HR/Pay policies, as a manager I sometimes found this very restrictive in how I could pay for performance. It went from guideline to policy, and took a lot of control a way from the direct managers. Sometime your review rankings would come back down changed from higher level management, and you would have to switch from a "You've been doing great work" to "You need to step it up", simply because higher management tweaked the budget somewhere.

Break out the good stuff! So many great products die before RTM, or sit in R&D untapped. MS had a great video on what life with technology would look like in 2020. I personally think they need to hit that by 2015 or sooner otherwise they will be 5 years behind.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft