There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

sdet 2

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good work, good compensation, good perks

Cons

work life balance, deadlines, deliverables

8179 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is a lot of roles - but it also means to get a very rounded experience you would have to do different roles - but you can do them across different teams - so life stays interesting

Cons

if Promos and pay are you thing - this is not a fast paced young company - so temper expectations

Review stack rank undermines culture.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cutting edge technology, smart peers, great pay and benefits. Great for career in the industry.

Cons

The review system is a stack rank. This means that good employees must be put into the bottom rung... someone's got to be in the bottom rung. I always did well come review time, but just the fact that it is run this way really undermines the collaboration and creativity that could exist at Microsoft. A very small number of folks are self serving jerks that will step on folks to work this system. Everybody else is just unsure of who to trust and fearful of making mistakes that will be held against them. People play it safe or work crazy hours to offset the failure associated with prototyping.
    Every talk I have with every manager I've ever had there is all about how I can 'get visibilty'. It's not about how I can do a better job, or learn something new.

Get rid of the stack rank!
    Embrace a bit of failure as the price for innovation.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!