There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Review stack rank undermines culture.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, smart peers, great pay and benefits. Great for career in the industry.

Cons

The review system is a stack rank. This means that good employees must be put into the bottom rung... someone's got to be in the bottom rung. I always did well come review time, but just the fact that it is run this way really undermines the collaboration and creativity that could exist at Microsoft. A very small number of folks are self serving jerks that will step on folks to work this system. Everybody else is just unsure of who to trust and fearful of making mistakes that will be held against them. People play it safe or work crazy hours to offset the failure associated with prototyping.
Every talk I have with every manager I've ever had there is all about how I can 'get visibilty'. It's not about how I can do a better job, or learn something new.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the stack rank!
Embrace a bit of failure as the price for innovation.

0 reviews filtered by

It's a big company, with all the pluses and minuses

Current Employee - Senior Director in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love the people I work with -- team, customers and Microsoft partners
    The quality of the work is interesting and intellectually rich
    Benefits have been outstanding, this year a big change in the medical benefits but still probably in top 10%
    Despite the awful stack ranking HR system which encourages backstabbing, there's actually a lot of good teamwork and camaraderie at the work group level

Cons

Internal politics truly Machiavellian
    It's a better place for either junior people starting their career or for the so-called "partner" level people (L68 and over) For those of us crowded at the upper director, senior director roles, it's pretty ugly and there's a lot of people leaving or planning to at that level. Very few career opportunities to advance for people with experience.
    Uninspired executives
    Totally Redmond-centric, not really a global company

Advice to Management

Our HR system is at total odds with the culture you say you want to create. We all know it. Do something.

Less good than seems to be, but maybe because the Managers on Site where I worked for were weak.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company provides good benefits

Cons

When some problem are related, the Management of Microsof ignores.

Advice to Management

They need to be more sincere, commited and they have to follow the Company culture, what doesn't happen.