There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A good place to learn about a big company

Current Employee - RDAA in Taipei (Taiwan)
Current Employee - RDAA in Taipei (Taiwan)

I have been working at Microsoft part-time (more than a year)

Pros

a well-structured company, as a part-time student working there, employers are patient to teach you stuff as long as one wants to learn

Cons

too well structure and hierarchy, couldn't feel the passion about creativity or its own products

reviews filtered by

A company losing trust due to a sea of politics, destructive stack ranking, micro managed scorecards and non-innovation.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lovely campus, financially healthy, good only for fresh hires, windows is sold at cheap price.

Cons

1. Stack ranking is a killer that promotes people to work against each other, backstabbing, etc.
    2. No innovation
    3. Non-competitive in nature
    4. Always late to market
    5. No reward for technical skills
    6. Poor decision makers in higher management.
    7. Long release cycles
    8. Bureaucracy and Politics overrrides everything including healthy competition.

Advice to Management

I am sure there is no need to advice to management as the whole management chain is rotten.

Underpaid, overworked, treated like crap

Former Employee - Product Advisor
    Former Employee - Product Advisor

I worked at Microsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company itself is very good and provides good benefits and perks, including free products at certain times. At times the job involved playing XBOX and running fun workshops for kids. It's an excellent company to have on your resume, and there is some potential for using it as a springboard to a corporate position at Microsoft (although I cannot say how possible this really is).

Cons

The pay for the position was laughably low given the requirements and expectations, and significantly lower than Microsoft's major competition. Many staff were temps brought on from agencies, who were strung along for months with no idea if/when they would ever be awarded full-time positions. Store management varied between absent, incompetent, childish, and downright awful human beings, and poisoned the working environment.

Advice to Management

Fire the management team and replace them with people that understand the importance of creating a positive working environment. Stop hiring from Future Shop, Staples, Best Buy, etc. and source managers from stores that make customer service and atmosphere a priority: Microsoft retail should be treated as a boutique, not a big-box retail outlets, but management does not seem to understand this.

Pay your employees better. As in, enough to actually live on in Toronto. The pay is acceptable for a part-time position while one is a student, but is not enough to keep full-time employees from pursuing better options, particularly given that with the skill set Microsoft helps develop, they could likely earn 2-3X as much elsewhere.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft