Great people, good work life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  London, England
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Loads of great people, lots of opportunities, good products, good work life balance. Joe Mansueto a genuinely inspirational chap.

Cons

- International growth is curtailed a little by decision makers lack of international experience (we say 'global', but we don't really do it as well as we could).
- What is up with the US weighted benefit system! I want my sabbatical!

Cost consciousness is sensible and inevitable in the current climate (2012/13), but we are cutting in to muscle in some teams, and leaving lots of fat in others. We really should me more intelligent about where to make savings (bloated teams of developers coding in circles), and where those savings will actually result in costing more (travel to visit clients / train client facing staff).

Other Reviews for Morningstar

Intern Review

Current Employee - Summer Data Analyst  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Summer Data Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Morningstar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

great people (well, at least at the place I had my intern, which is at London), a lot of them even don't graduate with bus degrees (with history majors, etc.) and they're very friendly, humorous and helpful. Sort of laid back/relaxing work culture. supervisor values intern's creativity.

Cons

open space at work, so you need to have the ability to fend off noises from anywhere

Great Benefits, Declining Products

Former Employee - Senior Designer  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in London, England

I worked at Morningstar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits and the culture is great. It's a free environment where you can do what you want, as long as you get the work done.

Cons

The culture is in decline since they've been hiring too many people too fast, they've also been buying up other companies with a different culture. So it has changed a lot from when I first started.

The product are also very weak, the people in charge do not understand the web anymore. That turns to them not hiring the right web professionals that they need. There hasn't been any significant software update for a decade now, be it in desktop or the web products.

Management is investing too much money on the wrong things. Highly skilled web people have left the company because of management's bad decisions.

Hire people who understands and use the products. Make sure that whoever is in charge of the products actually use them so they know how to improve the product.

There are newer employer reviews for Morningstar.

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!