Morphotek

www.morphotek.com
  www.morphotek.com
There are newer employer reviews for Morphotek

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA (US)

I have been working at Morphotek as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, awesome boss, and friendly co-workers. The salary is good for the type of work and hours, M-F 8a-5p. The lab I work in is state of the art with the latest equipment. My department is small and my team is the best.

Cons

I have to take 76 to get to and from work and traffic is terrible. There is a hiring freeze and I am hopeful it will be lifted so I can be brought on as a full-time employee.

Hire people full time as apposed to contract so we don't lose them to other companies.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Morphotek (View Most Recent)

Takes care of its own... if you are a FTE

Former Employee - Biochemistry Development Technician in Exton, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Biochemistry Development Technician in Exton, PA (US)

I worked at Morphotek as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

In general the people are great, small company politics as usual are a positive and negative. Day to day perks like company-wide activities and happy hours. Frustrations with being a contractor (see "cons") at least were not part of daily lab work; same responsibilities as my FTE peers, same recognition within the group (until it came to compensation or training / travel).

Cons

Was hired in 2010 as a contractor (through Aerotek), made the same hourly rate over the 2.5 yrs I spent at the company. A hiring freeze was initiated within a few months of my start date, so the "we always convert to FTE within 6-12 months" turned into a "sorry, we would if we could, but we won't". I watched my fellow contractors leave out of frustration one by one, until it was my turn to say goodbye too. Upper management made it clear through their actions / policies that contractors (with the same years of experience within the company) were not considered equal to FTEs.

Recognize that your hard-working contractors are fully aware they are being treated like second class employees. A welcome change would be built in salary increases after say... 2 years of faithful service as a contractor. Or just hire them already.

Overall great environment, but at times questionable techniques.

I have been working at Morphotek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Great benefits. Competitive pay. Great perks (volleyball court, Foosball, pool table, summer BBQs). For the most part the people are great. Promotions exist and there is an annual bonus (based off company goals). PTO and STO is lumped together but you get a decent amount and they are pretty easy going about taking off (as long as you do your job). The facilities are very accommodating and comfortable as long as you're not picky or overly sensitive. Upper management strives to make the employees happy.

Cons

Someone hit the nail on the head in a previous review when they said "Shoot first, then ask questions... ...mentality". Some departments spend boatloads of money on products with zero planning then find out they cant use it. I feel that some people are over paid and others underpaid, but over all the pay is probably pretty fair. Company priorities are odd. Sometimes upper management is unwilling to put their foot down to practice accountability and deny ridiculous requests (ie. installing skylights in a rented building). From an employees perspective there is a lot of unnecessary spending (renovations and such). Certain people realized that if they go straight to upper management with their complaints they get whatever they want, no matter how unnecessary. Other people found out that if they purposely break their equipment they will get brand new replacements with absolutely no repercussions while honest people are stuck with the same antiquated hardware for years. Money is seemingly tight yet never an issue. Certain departments seem to be exempt from hiring freezes or other company wide limitations. I understand that some of these cons may just be part of reality, but in a company setting (controlled environment) they should be able to be limited or eliminated.

Sorry if this was a bit of a rant. Most of this may be considered nit picking. I'm not trying to bash or anything. This is a great company overall, but it's in human nature to focus on the negatives. That's how we make things better. In the big picture, this company is a fantastic place to work and far better than most.

If you are going to spend loads of money, try to make it on things that will make employees more productive/happy (better equipment, salaries, bonuses, moral boosters) rather than making offices ridiculously large or putting skylights in rented buildings. Implement more accountability, it will save the company money and save certain people their sanity. Send out more anonymous inter company surveys to get more honest opinions. No one will tell the CEO their honest opinions to his face out of fear.... Not that he is mean, but it's just how things work.

There are newer employer reviews for Morphotek