Mott MacDonald consultancy

Current Employee - Transport Planner in Manchester, England
Current Employee - Transport Planner in Manchester, England

I have been working at Mott MacDonald

Pros

Open and flexible working environment, not too much emphasis on hierarchies, reasonable opportunities for advancement and encouragement to advance. The work-life balance is on the whole fairly good, and the work is project-focus so working additional hours is only expected where necessary. It is not a requisite for advancement. The culture of the company is in general friendly, and most of senior management are very open and responsive people. The salaries available to staff on lower grades are good when compared to competitors. On the whole the people at mott macdonald are friendly, highly skilled and ready to share skills with others, There is a strong feeling of teamwork and very few selfish or egotistical people.

Cons

Very large organisation in which people can get lost, not enough recognition given to technical experts. Also the holiday allowance is very poor indeed, and in general the benefits structure is poor. There is very little flexibility available. Annual leave is limited to 20 days plus 2 statutory days. Generally many employees can get lost in the huge organisation, however due to the skill shortage in most disciplines ambitious individuals get progress as they wish, with hard work. There is a high staff turnover, but this is true of most companies in this field and is partly due to the limited salaries on offer for technical jobs.

Advice to Management

Staff turnover largely due to lack of recognition given to workers with strong technical skills but little ambition to become managers.

reviews filtered by
  1. Team Leader - rural development specialist

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Mott MacDonald as a contractor

Pros

Not stuck with only one company. Free to settle where I want and where my family likes to be.

Cons

Security of tenure is a challenge. At times being treated as a "mercenary" / foot soldier / 2nd class employee.

Advice to Management

Equal and fair treatment to all types and classes of employees. Suggest to consider results/outputs-based contract management.

2. ok

I have been working at Mott MacDonald

Pros

Accommodation, vehicle (including unlimited petrol), mobile (with facility for unlimited international calls)medical insurance and visa for self and family provided

Cons

location was not the best place to work from though the benefits really were great and overall package not too bad either