There are newer employer reviews for National University

Laid back office setting where admittance numbers are subtly stressed

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)
Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at National University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits. staff scholarship that pays for your masters program (although your taxes go way up).

Cons

low starting salary and very hard to break into the upper echelon of salaries in the company

Advice to Management

Decrease the pay discrepancy between upper management and everybody else that actually does all the work with students.

reviews filtered by
  1. Thought I was starting a career...working three jobs just to survive

I have been working at National University

Pros

Good location
    Nice, clean environment
    Making a difference

Cons

Insulting pay
    No raise after more than a year of service
    Lack of opportunities (most positions pay even lower than what I make, which is pennies)
    Too much emphasis on enrollments rather than retention (I thought I was working for a non-profit?)
    Generic and bland (you try to be creative and can't because of the University's "brand" voice, which is ancient and boring)
    No communication between employees (students get different information from different people in different departments)
    Cheap, cheap, cheap

Advice to Management

Please respect your employees. There is absolutely no reason I have to work two other jobs just to survive. I've gotten praise for my work, won a couple of employee awards and work my butt off to cater to my students, yet no raise in the year and few months I've been here? And from what I've heard, when it does happen, all I can expect is a 1% raise? Isn't this illegal? So many of us work hard yet complain about the pay. Why hasn't anyone started a strike? Reported to the BBB? This is not right and employees are being taken advantage of. Most employees last only a few months. There are some who have been here for 7 years and are still in the same position. That's just lazy. Who would want that? I have a Master's and don't need the 'free' degree (I use free loosely since they pay for three classes a year and it has to be at NU). For people like me, there's really no reason to be here. I expected more when I started at NU and was promised more. So far, they're just words and I am done. This is not worth it. NU is not what it pretends to be and this employee is moving on.

This was the most challenging as the company assigns way too many duties to the position.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at National University

Pros

Benefits
    Educational scholarships available for employees

Cons

Unrealistic expectations in recruiting and servicing students, depending on which campus you work at.

Advice to Management

Let recruiters recruit. Let other advisors service students only. Combining these duties only sabotages retention efforts.