There are newer employer reviews for National University

Laid back office setting where admittance numbers are subtly stressed

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at National University full-time for more than a year

Pros

good benefits. staff scholarship that pays for your masters program (although your taxes go way up).

Cons

low starting salary and very hard to break into the upper echelon of salaries in the company

Decrease the pay discrepancy between upper management and everybody else that actually does all the work with students.

47 Other Employee Reviews for National University (View Most Recent)

Don't waste your time, look elsewhere

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at National University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tuition discount, for those pursuing a Bachelor's/Master's degree, Health benefits. A clean, working atmosphere. Co workers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Starting pay is very insulting. The school will use all the excuses in the world to not give employees their raise. Upper management does not listen to employees. The school is run like a for-profit school where the focus is on calling people everyday to beg them to enroll. As an admissions advisor, you will spend the majority of your time reminding the same students every week to submit missing transcripts or to pay the collections hold on their account just because a lot of the people who apply to the University are irresponsible and do not take the school seriously as anyone can get in with a 2.0 GPA for undergrad and 2.5 GPA . So you don't have to be a rocket scientist to attend school here. You will also find National University in malls, so if you get hired to work at a center in the mall, you will be required to wear a uniform, work both Saturday and Sundays and work until 9pm. The schedule changes every week so if you want your life to revolve around work and you want to struggle to pay your bills for the rest of your life doing the same job since there is no room for growth , than work for NU. They actually beg employees to stay that are looking for better paying jobs elsewhere because they know nobody else will stoop low enough to except such a low paying job even when they have been unemployed for 2 years!

Listen to and respect the ideas of employees. Pay what they are worth as most employees have a college degree

Thought I was starting a career...working three jobs just to survive

I have been working at National University

Pros

Good location
    Nice, clean environment
    Making a difference

Cons

Insulting pay
    No raise after more than a year of service
    Lack of opportunities (most positions pay even lower than what I make, which is pennies)
    Too much emphasis on enrollments rather than retention (I thought I was working for a non-profit?)
    Generic and bland (you try to be creative and can't because of the University's "brand" voice, which is ancient and boring)
    No communication between employees (students get different information from different people in different departments)
    Cheap, cheap, cheap

Please respect your employees. There is absolutely no reason I have to work two other jobs just to survive. I've gotten praise for my work, won a couple of employee awards and work my butt off to cater to my students, yet no raise in the year and few months I've been here? And from what I've heard, when it does happen, all I can expect is a 1% raise? Isn't this illegal? So many of us work hard yet complain about the pay. Why hasn't anyone started a strike? Reported to the BBB? This is not right and employees are being taken advantage of. Most employees last only a few months. There are some who have been here for 7 years and are still in the same position. That's just lazy. Who would want that? I have a Master's and don't need the 'free' degree (I use free loosely since they pay for three classes a year and it has to be at NU). For people like me, there's really no reason to be here. I expected more when I started at NU and was promised more. So far, they're just words and I am done. This is not worth it. NU is not what it pretends to be and this employee is moving on.

There are newer employer reviews for National University

Worked for National University? Contribute to the Community!