Navigant Consulting

www.navigant.com
  www.navigant.com
There are newer employer reviews for Navigant Consulting

Inconsistent management and narrowly defined verticals

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Burlington, MA (US)
Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've stayed at Navigant much longer than I should have because I love my coworkers. Hands down, they are the best. Smart, highly qualified, and passionate about the work (we're in the energy practice.)

Cons

However, it doesn't matter that I have wonderful, smart, coworkers. The majority of the work is large government contracts, which is repetitive and mind numbing on a good day. There are some offices that have a better mix of contracts (not all government work) but that is the minority in Navigant Energy. How quickly you move up also depends on who you work for. I've seen people in other parts of the practice get promoted year after year, while other managing directors seem to believe in a tenure track system wherein they will not consider promoting their staff until 3-4 years have passed at one level.

Reward your staff for being the overachieving ambitious workers that they are, and be consistent about it across the company. I know you're talking about consistency, but we have yet to see it filter down to the bottom of the totem pole.
Get out there and get us more work to do than these giant 3-5 year government contracts of rote work. You hire the best, from top institutions, why give us such unimaginative assignments?

246 Other Employee Reviews for Navigant Consulting (View Most Recent)

Great Management

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management are very accessible
    Collaborative work environment
    Good pay

Cons

projects can end abruptly
    no job stability

Damaged Culture, Do Not Recommend Working Here

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On the surface, there are a lot of great things about Navigant Consulting: many of the people are very smart and very hard-working and dedicated to doing a good job for clients. NCI has a professional environment and pays reasonably well. But, your situation at Navigant largely depends on which practice you are in. (Navigant has several disparate and unrelated practices that don't fit together easily in a coherent whole.)

Cons

There is no way to sugarcoat this: employees are completely expendable at NCI--much more so than at most other companies. As a result, the culture is extremely unhealthy at Navigant. Both voluntary and involuntary turnover at NCI is very high and Navigant is very quick to let people go. Moreover, Navigant is extremely callous when it terminates personnel. It is difficult to state how much more disrespectful/disdainful/dismissive Navigant is to its employees compared to most other companies--the lack of consideration is way off the charts.

Most companies speak the line: "employees are our most valuable asset". Navigant could not say that with a straight face. The first step toward fixing a problem is acknowledging that you have one, so let's call a spade a spade: Navigant does not respect its employees. Navigant uses and discards employees (quite unceremoniously) more than most other companies, and until this changes Navigant will not be a healthy place to work and the culture will remain broken.

There are newer employer reviews for Navigant Consulting